Hugo V. Alvarez has successfully worked on a large volume of cases with significant financial exposure. Fortune 500 companies, prominent real estate developers, municipalities, insurance companies, hotels, financial institutions, condominium/homeowner’s associations, CD brokers, freight forwarders, and general contractors have all sought his legal advice and deep local community ties to help get issues resolved. Hugo has been published in the Daily Business Review, appeared on CNN, Spanish TV, and is often quoted in leading business periodicals such as the South Florida Business Journal on important legal topics.
Mr. Alvarez works closely with his clients to understand their legal needs and business. He does this by focusing on his clients’ objectives. By being involved in every aspect of their business he can help navigate directives and help avoid brewing disputes while also preparing for litigation.
Having founded, and run, his own law firm prior to joining Becker, Mr. Alvarez has a unique perspective into the challenges and opportunities businesses encounter daily. Given that experience, Mr. Alvarez is uniquely positioned to assist his clients in addressing their needs.
After working as a law clerk for the current Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Jorge Labarga in Palm Beach County, he went to work for some of the state’s and nation’s largest law firms. He defended insurance companies in first party claims, including bad faith matters, and learned how to navigate these claims from the insurance company’s perspective.
Since 2006, Mr. Alvarez has taken that knowledge and put it to work to successfully resolve hundreds of first party claims totaling millions of dollars for his clients, including numerous Hurricane Wilma and Hurricane Irma related claims.
In 2017, the Dade County Bar Association awarded Mr. Alvarez with its Legal Luminary Award, the top honor given to attorneys in Miami who handle first party related insurance litigation. Mr. Alvarez has also lectured at the annual statewide Windstorm Conference on first party insurance related issues to an audience of claims professionals.
Mr. Alvarez is a former Vice-Chair of the Florida Bar 11th Circuit Grievance Committee 11 “C” and is presently a Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator.
Committed to his community, Mr. Alvarez serves as a Councilman on the Miami-Dade County Community Council, which addresses issues impacting the community including zoning and land use related issues. Mr. Alvarez has also coached numerous little league teams with varying degrees of success over the years.
Mr. Alvarez is fluent in Spanish and has extensive experience representing domestic and foreign companies involved in civil, commercial, real estate, and insurance disputes in Florida.
- Secured a $1.8 million judgment for a movie maker.
- Secured a $1.6 million settlement for an ocean front condominium after the insurance company issued a partial denial.
- Secured over $1 million for CD brokers who had hundreds of CD’s wrongfully terminated across the country.
- Secured an $815,000 settlement for an ocean front condominium with significant damage from Hurricane Irma after the insurance company initially refused to pay the amount of the claim presented.
- Secured a $500,000 judgment for violation of a non-compete agreement.
- Secured a favorable financial resolution for a prominent national franchise involved in an eminent domain dispute.
- Secured a defense verdict in favor of a construction company following a four-day jury trial.
- Secured a defense verdict in favor of an airplane parts manufacturing company following a four-day jury trial.
- Secured a complete liability finding against a publicly traded company for wrongfully evicting a nightclub from the premises after a four-day jury trial.
- Secured hundreds of favorable results involving Hurricane Wilma and Hurricane Irma insurance coverage disputes.
- Secured dismissal of prominent real estate developer in a dispute involving millions of dollars.
- Represented the court appointed receiver overseeing a major real estate project on Miami Beach involving 98 units and over ten million dollars in dispute.
- Represented both cities and counties in connection with their legal disputes and legal needs.
- Participated in the collections and foreclosures for hard money lenders, condo associations, banks, and individual investors.
- Acted as outside general corporate counsel to various businesses.
- Worked on behalf of freight forwarders to address legal issues including disputes and logistical challenges.
- Participated in over a hundred residential and commercial real estate transactions.
- Participated in the successful closing of a $24.45 million construction loan for a prominent real estate development.
- Participated in the successful closing of a $51 million construction loan.
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Litigation – Real Estate) 2018 – present
- Dade County Bar Association Legal Luminary Award Winner, 2017
- Avvo ranking of 10 out of 10
- LBA Rookie Director of the Year Nominee, 2017
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2011-present
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2010-2013, 2015, 2018
- Florida Trend Legal Elite “Up and Comer”, 2005-2009
- South Florida Business Journal Key Partner Award Finalist, 2006 – 2007
- South Florida Business Journal Up and Comer, 2007
- Business Leader Media Movers and Shakers Award, 2009
- Columbus Athletic Hall of Fame, 2017
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Councilman and past Chairman for the Miami-Dade County Community Council
- Past President, Coral Gables Bar Association
- Director, Latin Builders Association
- Member, Columbus Alumni Association
- Former Director, Builders Association of South Florida
- Board of Governors, Churchill Society of South Florida
- YMCA and Palmer Park Youth football and baseball coach