Hugo V. Alvarez has successfully worked on a large volume of cases with significant financial exposure. Fortune 500 companies, prominent real estate developers, municipalities, insurance companies, hotels, financial institutions, condominium/homeowner’s associations and general contractors have all sought his legal advice and deep local community ties to help get issues resolved. Hugo has been published in the Miami-Daily Business Review, appeared on CNN, and Spanish TV, and is often quoted in leading business periodicals such as the South Florida Business Journal on local legal topics.
Mr. Alvarez works closely with his clients to understand their legal needs and business. He does this by focusing on his client’s objectives. By being involved in every aspect of his client’s business he can help navigate his client’s directives and help avoid brewing disputes while also preparing for litigation.
Having founded, and run, his own law firm prior to joining Becker, Mr. Alvarez has a unique perspective into the challenges and opportunities businesses encounter on a daily basis. Given that experience, Mr. Alvarez is uniquely positioned to assist his clients in addressing their needs from a business perspective.
Mr. Alvarez is a former Vice-Chair of the Florida Bar 11th Circuit Grievance Committee 11 “C” and is presently a Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator.
Committed to his community, Mr. Alvarez serves as a Councilman on the Miami-Dade County Community Council, which addresses issues impacting the community including zoning and land use related issues. Mr. Alvarez has also coached numerous little league teams with varying degrees of success over the years.
Fluent in Spanish, Mr. Alvarez has extensive experience involving civil, commercial, real estate, and insurance disputes in Florida for both domestic and foreign companies.
- Secured $1.8 million dollar judgment for movie maker
- Secured $815,000 settlement for ocean front condominium with significant damage from Hurricane Irma after the insurance company initially refused to properly pay the amount of the claim presented
- Secured $500,000 judgment for violation of a non-compete agreement
- Secured defense verdict in favor of general contractor in a jury trial
- Secured hundreds of favorable results involving Hurricane Wilma and Hurricane Irma disputes
- Secured dismissal of prominent real estate developer in a dispute involving millions of dollars
- Represented the court appointed receiver overseeing a major real estate project on Miami Beach involving 98 units and over ten million dollars in dispute
- Participated in over a hundred residential real estate transactions
- Represented both cities and counties as it relates to their legal disputes and legal needs
- Participated in the collections and foreclosures for condo associations, banks, and individual investors
- Acted as outside general corporate counsel to various businesses
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Litigation – Real Estate) 2018 – present
- Dade County Bar Association Legal Luminary Award Winner, 2017
- Avvo ranking of 10 out of 10
- LBA Rookie Director of the Year Nominee, 2017
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2011-present
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2010-2013, 2015, 2018
- Florida Trend Legal Elite “Up and Comer”, 2005-2009
- South Florida Business Journal Key Partner Award Finalist, 2006 – 2007
- South Florida Business Journal Up and Comer, 2007
- Business Leader Media Movers and Shakers Award, 2009
- Columbus Athletic Hall of Fame, 2017
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Councilman for the Miami-Dade County Community Council
- Secretary, Coral Gables Bar Association
- Director, Latin Builders Association
- Member, Columbus Alumni Association
- Former Director, Builders Association of South Florida
- Board of Governors, Churchill Society of South Florida
- YMCA and Palmer Park Youth football and baseball coach