Jeremy has extensive experience litigating complex business disputes in both state and federal courts. His broad-based background in trial practice includes contract litigation, insurance law, shareholder and partnership disputes, trademark, copyright and intellectual property litigation, financial institution litigation, environmental law, marine vessel construction, and various forms of disputes relating to commercial real property. In addition to representing clients in adversarial circumstances, Jeremy also regularly advises clients on methods and strategies for structuring business transactions so as to avoid pitfalls that may lead to costly litigation in the future.
- Represented a Connecticut hedge fund client as lead trial counsel in a commercial property dispute relating to a golf course, country club and surrounding residential and commercial property. At the conclusion of trial, Jeremy’s client was awarded a final judgment for $8.8 million.
- Obtained a final judgment award for $1.2 million on behalf of a national special servicer as lead counsel in a commercial finance payment guaranty action against former NBA basketball player Stephon X. Marbury.
- Personally won final judgment awards totaling over $.5 billion in more than 20 Florida state-court jurisdictions against commercial properties including hotels, office buildings, townhome complexes and shopping malls.
- Representing shipbuilding industry leader in dispute against the City of New York relating to the construction of two 140-foot, state-of-the-art, fast-response FDNY fireboats.
- Represented mortgage-lending companies in mortgage-buyback litigation against JPMorganChase Bank, US Bank, Wells Fargo, Bank of America and the FDIC as receiver for IndyMac Bank and Lehman Brothers in nationwide federal lawsuits relating to the secondary market sale of hundreds of residential mortgages.
- Represented Fortune 500 human capital management software development company in multi-state federal court litigation relating to trademark, intellectual property and non-compete disputes.
- Represented developer/owner of a well-known, historic Miami Beach hotel in defense of over 30 lawsuits relating to the hotel’s $1-billion-dollar property renovation and rejuvenation project.
- Represented industrial distribution center in defense of toxic tort claims exceeding $10 million.
- Florida Super Lawyers, Florida Rising Stars, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Lawyers for Children America, John Edward Smith Child Advocacy Award, 2013
- United Way of Miami-Dade, 2010 Finalist for Dorothy Shula Award for Outstanding Volunteerism
- Dade County Bar Association, Pro Bono Service Award, Put Something Back, 2009 and 2010
- Book Award in Trial Practice, University of Florida Levin College of Law
- Book Award in International Trade and Human Rights, University of Florida Levin College of Law
- Florida Law Review Gertrude Brick Outstanding Board Member Award, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2005
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- “FHFA’S 2013 Report Shows Record Income for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, But Earnings Are Likely to Fall,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, June 19, 2014
- “FHFA Announces Reversal of Plans to Wind Down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, May 19, 2014
- “Recently Unveiled ‘HOME Forward’ Housing Act May Signal the End of Fannie and Freddie,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, April 08, 2014
- “SEC To Demand More Public Accountability This Year From Wrongdoers In Financial Markets,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, February 4, 2014
- “JPMorgan Chase Agrees to $13 Billion Settlement with the U.S. Justice Department for Knowingly Selling Toxic Mortgage-Backed Securities,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, November 21, 2013
- “Wells Fargo Settles Mortgage Buyback Litigation with Freddie Mac for $869 Million,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, October 7, 2013
- “Developer Protection Against Tenant Improvements,” Construction Litigation Blog, July 5, 2013
- “Federal Judges Refuse to Permit ‘Shotgun’ Style Mortgage-Buyback Lawsuits Filed by Lehman Brothers,” Mortgage Crisis Blog, May 24, 2013