As a land-use attorney, Jeremy assists in guiding developers, business owners and Homeowners’ Associations through the multifaceted approval process with issues such as site-plan approvals, rezonings, variances, special exceptions and conditional use permits; Land Use Due diligence reports; Developer Agreements and local government negotiations; platting and plat note amendments, drafting covenants and easements, concurrency and vested rights analyses, Zoning Opinion Letters for lenders, and code enforcement hearings. Jeremy also specializes in representing condominium associations and HOA’s with strategic advice, negotiations and, when necessary, administrative hearings or litigation against developers on intensity of use, compatibility issues and construction management.
With knowledge of the complex governmental procurement process, including responding to Requests for Proposals (RFP), he assists in production from the early stages of team-building through project submittals and presentations to final selection and negotiation. He has experience collaborating with various stakeholders, governmental entities, institutions, lobbyists, experts and interest groups.
Prior to joining the firm, Jeremy served as a Legislative Aide for State Senator Eleanor Sobel. In this capacity, he worked on and researched various public policy issues, including Medicaid Expansion, hospital & healthcare funding and the Certificate of Need process, K-12 and Higher Education issues, and state statutes relating to the Department of Children and Families & the foster care system. He also became intimately acquainted with Municipal Zoning issues related to Assisted Living Facilities, Community residential homes, and Sober Homes. Jeremy was instrumental in the acquisition of $200K in state appropriations for security needs for the JCC Maccabi Games which Broward County hosted in summer 2015.
- Representation of Chabad of SW Broward in attaining necessary land use and zoning approvals from Cooper City, Florida, for the development of a 6.3-acre campus. The development project includes a mikveh, dormitory, yeshiva, preschool, retreat, and synagogue.
- Representation of residential property owner/investor in reducing their code violation fines from the initial $1.8 million in fees to $7,500, or 0.4% of the total. Successful reduction was based on copious evidence of improvements to property and powerful public policy arguments in front of the City of Miami Code Violation Board.
- Representation of developer, Azur Equities, negotiating a package of CRA incentives as well as a $2.5 million purchase and developer’s agreement from Davie’s Town Council for entertainment project, Frontier Square. The 150,000 square foot commercial space will bring restaurants, a 60-room hotel, and other entertainment to the Town of Davie.
- Represented large, multi-family residential developer on entitlements, zoning and site plan for a $15-million, mixed-use, 120-unit development in Town of Davie. Drafted multiple covenants running with the land. Negotiated with Davie and CRA on incentives and developer agreement.
- Represented a national Affordable Housing Developer on a site plan approval, rezoning, multiple variances, vacating easements, amending plat note, splitting parcel folio and establishing legal justification for why parcel should be considered phase two of the project — rather than as a new application — in Pembroke Pines.
- Represented homeowner in egregious code violation and lien case, including violations for unsafe structures, contracting work done without permits, roof and landscaping issues. Fines had been accruing daily for over 2 years, with total amount due to City over $500,000. Worked with City Code Enforcement, Building Department, and City Attorney to formulate a plan and timeline for mitigation, including the highly creative solution of having buyer pay the cost for architect and general contractor’s plans to ultimately bring the property into compliance within a specified time period. Successfully convinced City and Special Magistrate to accept a fine reduction equivalent to approximately 5% of the total fines accrued.
- On behalf of a large Community Association in Boca Raton, negotiated with City of Boca Raton Planning and Zoning Board on restrictive covenant, zoning, entitlements and site plan to gain Board approval for construction of new clubhouse, office and maintenance buildings.
- Represented a self-storage company in Unincorporated Miami-Dade County on site plan approval, opinion of title and zoning opinion for lender. Negotiated with County on increased density as well as adding retail and residential to the project in addition to a reduced parking ratio.
- Successfully negotiated significant design modifications with a marina developer including reduction of length of finger piers, reduction of length of slips, and increase of setbacks during representation of multiple condo clients affected by proposed development.
- Negotiated a large settlement for condominium association that includes a high-six-figure monetary payment and multiple redesigns of a proposed development adjacent to condo community. Redesigns include increased setbacks, reduced traffic concerns, view-line preservation, construction-dust mitigation and crane replacement.
- Represented homeowner’s association in negotiations with Costco, which applied for land use adjacent to the community. Successfully negotiated major design modifications that remove loading from area adjacent to HOA. Developer payed for 14-foot wall running the length of the distance between parcels, traffic impacts, modifying ingress and egress and increased buffering.
- Represented condo client in negotiations with FPL for new easements and moving power lines to enable client to construct new clubhouse and maintenance building. Other issues involved parking variance, drafting covenant running with the land that restricts the use to residents and guests and provides that the association will pay for private pickup of solid waste.
- Negotiated on behalf of Brickell condo association over a signed settlement agreement with developer to support variance requests. Discussions involved ULDR application, City of Miami UDRB Warrant Application, site plan documents, staff comments, City of Miami staff and developer regarding the validity of settlement agreement and $200K owed to our client.
- Representation of national self-storage developer in land use and zoning approvals for the development of an approximately 80,000 square foot storage facility in Davie, Florida.
- Representation of community association client in a dispute with Verizon over the planned relocation of a telecommunications facility pole in front of the condo’s main entrance. Successfully prohibited the installation on behalf of the client after performing an analysis and outreach to Sarasota’s Mayor, City Commissioners, and City Attorney.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member of Greater Hollywood Chamber Government Affairs Committee
- Miami Beach Community Development Corporation Board of Directors
- Corporate Sponsor of CCIM
- Board Member of Greater Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Co-Chair of Broward Urban Land Institute Young Professionals
- Previous Broward Young Democrats Treasurer
- Member Jewish Federation Broward Horizons Young Leaders program
- AIPAC Advocacy Training Academy, Member 2018
- Co-Chair of Broward County Washington University in St. Louis Alumni Committee
- Co-Chair of Broward County Bar Association Legislative committee
- Democratic Professionals Network Co-chair
- Member Broward League of Cities Youth Leadership Committee
- Broward Democratic Party Precinct Committeeman