Marielle Westerman counsels condominium, homeowner and cooperative associations on their daily business operations. Marielle’s practice areas include community association law and litigation as well as first-party property insurance and Fair Housing defense. Marielle is also a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator.
Additionally, Marielle has handled property insurance claims on behalf of community associations since 2005. Since that time, she has recovered close to 50 million dollars from insurance companies.
Marielle has handled claims involving Allstate, QBE, State Farm, Tower Hill, Citizens, FIGA, American Coastal, Nationwide, etc. She has litigated issues involving the application of the Valued Policy Law, application multiple causation, conversion of an insurance contract into a construction contract, changes to the sinkhole statute involving the definition of “structural damage,” ensuing damage, etc., and has also brought bad faith claims against insurers.
The types of loss she has dealt with are hurricane, water, collapse, sinkhole and flood.
- Represents all types and sizes of community associations throughout Florida.
- Served on two (2) Florida Bar Committees: the LOMAS Advisory Board and the Media & Communications Law Committee
- Member of the Real Property Probate and Trust Law (RPPTL) Section of the Florida Bar
- Member of the Community Association Institute (CAI) and the National Association of Professional Women
For four consecutive years, from 2012 to 2015, Ms. Westerman was named a Rising Star attorney by Florida Super Lawyers, an honor that less than 2.5 percent of all lawyers receive.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member of the Florida Bar’s Real Property, Probate and Trust Litigation Section
- Member of the Florida Bar’s Condominium and Planned Development Committee
- Member, Westcoast Chapter of the Community Association Institute
- Past president of the Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers