Michael E. Boutzoukas concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial real estate, real estate development, leasing, financing and business transactions. Michael provides clients with general consultation and guidance in legal matters to business clients, leveraging his own transactional experience with the firm’s specialists in taxation, employment law and securities to serve his clients’ needs. Mr. Boutzoukas’ peers call upon him to assist them with their clients’ real estate and business transactional disputes to gain perspective on the best course of resolution.
In 2009, he joined the approximately 450 Florida attorneys Board Certified in Real Estate Law. Board Certification by the Florida Bar is the highest level of recognition of an attorney’s competency and expertise in the areas of law approved for certification by the Supreme Court of Florida. Since 2018 Michael has been recognized by his peers as among the Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate. Michael is actively engaged in the broader real estate community and regularly speaks before realtors, attorneys and businesses groups on commercial and residential real estate transactions, leasing issues, title matters, and ad valorem tax valuation challenges.
He also volunteers his time holding positions with the City of Clearwater, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church and the Bay Area Real Estate Council. The Clearwater City Council appointed Michael to the Community Development Board. In that capacity, he conducts design review, evaluates historic applications and reviews requests for land use plan changes and rezoning. The Board serves as Local Planning Agency to review and advise City Council on the City’s Comprehensive Plan. He previously served on the Code Enforcement Board. At his church, Michael has served in leadership roles and as general counsel since 1993 and most recently elected President of the community for 2017.
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2015 – present
- Represented commercial developer in 1031 Exchange purchase of a commercial property and assisted with the subsequent development of the site as a mixed use residential multi-family and retail complex with public and private parking, including the negotiation of title and survey defects, development agreements, easements, and commercial leases
- Assisted the purchase of commercial real estate through the resolution of longstanding title disputes utilizing a combination of reformation proceedings and complex negotiations
- Negotiated the sale of a privately held veterinary clinic practice to a national veterinary service provider including the transfer of intellectual property and negotiation of employment and non-competition agreements
- Developed, for a commercial lender, a community association based loan package to streamline loans for the benefit of the lender and the community association borrowers seeking to undertake significant repairs or improvements
- Represented the purchaser in a $16 Million acquisition of a package of three net lease investment properties with national chain tenant ground leases in place, including the resolution of easement claims, title and survey concerns and negotiation of the financing package
- Defended a non-profit cultural association against alleged code violations, setting aside tens of thousands of dollars in accrued fines and negotiating a resolution that allowed the client to continue its cultural activities
- Entity formation and entity governance for small businesses, including corporations, s-corporations, limited liability companies, joint ventures and partnerships.
- Pre-litigation dispute review and risk mitigation counseling to avoid litigation Asset sales and purchases, including counseling clients involved in business transactions for the purchase and sale of business assets and operations from contract to closing.
- Corporate governance advice and the review and legal analysis of business contracts and procedures to identify and assist clients with the implementation of streamlined and effective procedures aimed at minimizing exposure to litigation.
- Assisting closely held entities with the development and drafting of agreements between their owners for the disposition of individual ownership interests upon the occurrence of targeted future events.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- City of Clearwater Community Development Board, March 2014 – present
- City of Clearwater Municipal Code Enforcement Board since November 2008 to present (Vice Chair, 2010, Chairman 2011, 2012)
- City of Dunedin Code Enforcement Board, 1992 to 1999 (Chair, 1996-1999); Frequent
- Member of the board of directors of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Clearwater Florida since 1992, Currently President for 2017 (past positions include positions held as secretary, assistant treasurer, treasurer, vice-president)
- General Counsel to his church since 1995, donating countless hours of legal services to his community.
- Member of the Board of Governors, Chapter 356, American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, beginning 2009-10 and 2012-13.
- Board of Directors, Bay Area Real Estate Council (President, 2017; Vice President, 2015-2016)
- Leads the Tampa Bay Efforts of the firm’s charitable organization, B&P Helping Hands