Nicholas G. Matthews is an experienced advocate with an extensive background in state and local legislative, budgetary and executive processes. He is uniquely experienced and knowledgeable in healthcare, local government, finance and tax, economic development, criminal justice and transportation issues.
As a former lobbyist for Broward County, Mr. Matthews managed Broward County’s advocacy as a part of their Office of Intergovernmental Affairs and Professional Standards. He specifically developed, managed and advocated for Broward County’s State Legislative Program and Appropriation Priorities. He worked closely with the Mayor, Vice Mayor, Commissioners, County Administration, Department Directors, Constitutional Officers, City Managers and City Commissioners in that capacity. He also served as Chief of Staff to Florida Senator Eleanor Sobel, where he managed the Senator’s legislative efforts and supervised the District and Capitol staff.
Mr. Matthews has coordinated advocacy efforts with the Broward Workshop, Greater Ft. Lauderdale Alliance, Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, the Broward Chapter of the Restaurant and Lodging Association, Broward Days, and the Port Everglades Association.
Some of the projects Mr. Matthews helped to coordinate include:
- Representation of developer, Azur Equities, negotiating a package of CRA incentives as well as a $2.5 million purchase and developer’s agreement from Davie’s Town Council for entertainment project, Frontier Square. The 150,000 square foot commercial space will bring restaurants, a 60-room hotel, and other entertainment to the Town of Davie.
- Broward County’s $45 million beach nourishment project;
- Seaport and airport state grants, large infrastructure projects for wastewater and water services, and economic development;
- Has lobbied for important programs like child protection teams, homelessness grants, affordable housing, and funding for environmental clean-up programs.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Broward Public Library Foundation, Board Member, 2019
- Broward Days, Board Member
- YMCA of South Florida, Member of the Governmental Relations Committee
- Florida Association for Intergovernmental Relations, Immediate Past President
- Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association, Former Member of the Board of Directors, 2014-2015
- National Association of County Intergovernmental Relations Officials, Former Member, 2012-2014
- Human Services and Education Committee, National Association of Counties, Former Committee Member, 2012-2014