Nicholas G. Matthews is an experienced advocate with an extensive background in state and local legislative, budgetary and executive processes. He is uniquely experienced and knowledgeable in healthcare, local government, finance and tax, economic development, criminal justice and transportation issues.
As a former lobbyist for Broward County, Mr. Matthews managed Broward County’s advocacy as a part of their Office of Intergovernmental Affairs and Professional Standards. He specifically developed, managed and advocated for Broward County’s State Legislative Program and Appropriation Priorities.He worked closely with the Mayor, Vice Mayor, Commissioners, County Administration, Department Directors, Constitutional Officers, City Managers and City Commissioners in that capacity. He also served as Chief of Staff to Florida Senator Eleanor Sobel, where he managed the Senator’s legislative efforts and supervised the District and Capitol staff.
Mr. Matthews has coordinated advocacy efforts with the Broward Workshop, Greater Ft. Lauderdale Alliance, Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, the Broward Chapter of the Restaurant and Lodging Association, Broward Days, and the Port Everglades Association.
Some of the projects Mr. Matthews helped to coordinate include:
- Broward County’s $45 million beach nourishment project;
- Seaport and airport state grants, large infrastructure projects for wastewater and water services, and economic development;
- Has lobbied for important programs like child protection teams, homelessness grants, affordable housing, and funding for environmental clean-up programs.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member of the Board of Directors, Broward Days
- Member of the Governmental Relations Committee Member, YMCA of South Florida
- Immediate Past President, Florida Association for Intergovernmental Relations
- 2014 – 2015 Former Member of the Board of Directors, Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association
- 2012 – 2014 Former Member, National Association of County Intergovernmental Relations Officials
- 2012 – 2014 Former Committee Member, Human Services and Education Committee, National Association of Counties