Rosa de la Camara concentrates her practice on representing community associations and has immersed herself in the many complex issues facing Boards of Directors, unit owners, managers and state and local policymakers for more than thirty years. Her duties encompass a general counsel role including drafting, analysis of issues and recommended course of action, prosecuting violations, attending administrative hearings and organizing elections. She also represents Hotel Condominiums and is familiar with the unique issues faced by these. Ms. de la Camara is also one of only 129 attorneys statewide statewide who is a Board Certified Specialist in Condominium and Planned Development Law.
Ms. de la Camara has authored many articles on subjects related to the practice of Community Association Law in English and Spanish. She has been a featured speaker on local Spanish and English radio and television shows and at public service seminars for condominium and homeowner associations. She is a featured panelist at symposiums on Community Association Law and is a frequent media resource on issues impacting the world of community associations.
- Governance counsel: All aspects of advising not-for-profit Associations regarding their duties and responsibilities, drafting documents, budgets, reserve funding, levying and collecting special assessments, storm recovery, covenant enforcement, vendor contracts, employee issues.
- Analysis and Advice: Providing legal analysis of governing documents, statutes and case law to Association, advising of options and providing recommended course of action. Serve in “general counsel” role on all matters affecting the Association.
- Association municipal fines: Successfully mitigated code and fire enforcement fines before special magistrates thus significantly reducing the amounts owed by the Associations.
- Bank loan closings: Assisted Associations through the process of obtaining corporate approvals and closed over $20M in bank loans for necessary funding for capital improvement and other community projects.
Miami-Dade College Alumni Hall of Fame. Inducted 2016
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Ms. de la Camara has served in leadership positions with local community organizations and has been appointed to several influential policy making positions due to her varied experience in all aspects of shared ownership housing law. As such, she works closely with local and state political and business leaders on laws and regulations impacting association operations and management.
- Brickell Homeowners Association (BHA): Serves as pro-bono general counsel to this community advocacy organization which represents over 25,000 residential households in the Brickell/Miami area.
- Downtown Neighbors Alliance (DNA): Incorporator, founding member and pro-bono general counsel to this grassroots community organization which represents the interests of over 9,000 residents on quality of life, development, zoning and land use, beautification, traffic, parking, crime prevention and other issues of common interest to the downtown Miami community.
- Florida Community Association Living Study Council: Created to receive public input regarding issues of concern with respect to community living and make recommendations for legislative changes to the Florida Legislature.
- Florida Community Association Living Study Council: Re-appointed by Governor Rick Scott, 2014 Legislative Session.
- Florida Advisory Council on Condominiums: Appointed by the Speaker of the House. The body charged as liaison between the public and the Division of Florida Land Sales and Condominiums. 2008.
- Miami-Dade County Incorporation and Annexation Task Force, 2014: To issue recommendations to the Board Of County Commissioners for addressing the remainder of the unincorporated communities.
- Miami-Dade County Enterprise Zone Advisory Council, 2014: To assist in ensuring compliance with the Florida Enterprise Zone Act and advise the Board Of County Commissioners on implementation of the EZ program.
- Served on Board of Directors of Community Associations Institute, Greater Miami Chapter.