Claramargaret (“Claire”) Groover is of counsel to the firm, specializing in construction law. She devotes her practice to complex project development, negotiating and documenting performance requirements on condominium, mixed-use, and lease-back transactions as well as public-private partnership projects, and coordinating the client’s construction and financing requirements.
Claire’s experience spans from early stage land development, bidding and bid protests, consultant and construction contracting through contract close-out and claims resolution representing clients in mediation, arbitration and litigation. She also counsels clients applying for licensure or defending their professional licenses before regulatory boards.
In her years of practice she has represented every aspect of the construction industry including owners, architects, engineers, surveyors, construction managers and owner’s representatives, constructors, suppliers, subcontractors, and their insurers and surety companies. Her early years through college and graduation were spent working in the family construction services, building supply, roadbuilding, and development business enterprises, giving her a unique, firsthand understanding of demands of entrepreneurs in the construction industry.
- One-third of career spent in-house, first as Director of Legal Affairs addressing design and construction issues for a world class theme park developer in its $2.5B Central Florida park expansion.
- Senior legal counsel to the world’s leading general aviation service provider in the aftermath of September 11, 2001. She handled real estate leasing at over 30 domestic airports, construction contracting and claims resolution for various projects including general aviation terminals and airport fuel facilities projects, and other operational, corporate, and risk management concerns.
- Served on the Board of Directors for National Semi-Trailer Corporation (2005-2011), a 35-year-old, Orlando-based corporation that is a market leader in overland trailer leasing and sales.
- Penned the forward to John R. Manning’s guide for owner developers, Prevent and Turn Around the Troubled Construction Project, 2019. “This important volume is destined to be on every project management employee’s desk for ready reference,” she said.
- Appointed to the Thompson Reuters Practical Law Real Estate Advisory Board for 2019-2020.
- Claire is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell and she has been selected as a Florida Super Lawyer each year since 2009. She is an invited Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America.
- She currently serves on the Governing Committee of the American Bar Association’s Forum on Construction Law (2017-2020), having previously served as Chair (2015-2017) of its Division 12 Owners & Project Finance. She is also a member of The Florida Bar Construction Law Committee, chairing its Subcommittee on Construction Transactions. In addition to her Florida Bar certification in construction law, she is certified as a Circuit Civil and Appellate Mediator. She is a Panel Arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association and is qualified as a Florida Arbitrator.