Conrad J. Lazo practices primarily in areas of construction law, surety law and general commercial litigation, and has achieved the status of Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Attorney.
Conrad’s representative clients include sureties, owners, condominium and homeowners’ associations, general contractors, design professionals, subcontractors and material suppliers. He is skilled in providing both legal representation and technical assistance with respect to all aspects of building design and construction. As Conrad holds dual Bachelor Degrees in Architecture and Building Construction, and spent many years working in the construction industry. He also has extensive experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating highly technical and custom tailored construction and design contracts for a variety of different project types.
Consecutively named to The Best Lawyers in America® since 2009, Conrad has also garnered an AV® Preeminent distinction, the highest available mark for professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings. He has been recognized in the Florida Super Lawyers list in 2006, and each year from 2010 – 2018.
- Tropicana Dome (Home of the Tampa Bay Rays): Received a complete defense verdict in a three month long toxic exposure trial representing a nationally recognized general contracting firm against 14 plaintiffs seeking damages in excess of $52 million; trial involved over sixty witnesses, one thousand trial exhibits, and two weeks of jury deliberations.
- Alagon Condominium, a high rise luxury condominium, located along Bayshore Drive in Tampa, Florida. Represented the plaintiff condominium association in litigation concerning over $7 million of construction and design defects. Case involved in excess of 15 party defendants, including the design professionals, insurance carriers and sureties.
- Renaissance Condominium, a high rise luxury condominium, located in Sarasota, Florida. Represented the developer in litigation concerning construction and design defects totaling in excess of $7 million. Case involved over 20 party defendants, including the design professionals, insurance carriers and sureties.
- Steamplant Condominium, a mid-rise luxury condominium, located in Key West, Florida. Represented the general contractor in two subcontractor arbitration claims in excess of $3 million, both of which went to final hearing. Also represented general contractor in connection with various nonpayment claims against the owner.
- Ventana Condominium, a mid-rise luxury condominium, located in Tampa, Florida. Represented the general contractor in litigation concerning in excess of $2 million in design and construction defects.
- Poinciana Road Widening Project, located in Kissimmee, Florida. Represented the general contractor in litigation concerning the earthwork and roadway subcontractor’s cardinal change claim, seeking damages in excess of $3 million.
- Sandpearl Condominium, a high rise, mixed use, luxury condominium with retail spaces, located in Clearwater Beach, Florida. Represented the condominium association in pre-litigation negotiations concerning over $15 million of design and construction defects.
- 345 Bayshore, a high rise luxury apartment building converted to condominium, located along Bayshore Drive in Tampa, Florida. Represented the conversion developer in litigation concerning construction defects in excess of $4 million.
- Intercontinental Hotel, located in Callo Largo, Puerto Rico. Represented the construction performance bond surety in Federal Court litigation concerning a bond default claim in excess of $60 million.
- Powerplant Project, located in Puerto Rico. Represented the construction performance bond surety in Federal Court litigation concerning over $5 million in claims relating to defective refractory.
- Expansion to Key West Airport, located in Key West, Florida. Representing the general contractor in litigation concerning in excess of $2 million in design and construction defects.
- Lake Chase Condominium, a townhouse community, located in Tampa, Florida. Representing the condominium association in general consultation with respect to it’s multi-million dollar renovation to 50 existing townhouse buildings, and subsequent litigation concerning over $3 million in construction defects.
- JDS Uniphase, a high tech, high security building, located on airport property, in Melbourne, Florida. Represented glazing subcontractor in litigation concerning over $2 million in construction defect claims.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator, Florida Supreme Court
- Associate Member, American Institute of Architects
- Associated Builders and Contractors, former member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- University of Florida School of Building Construction Advisory Counsel, former member