Gary Schaaf is the managing shareholder of Becker’s Tampa Bay office, and supervises our Tampa Business Litigation practice. He has been a business litigator in the Tampa Bay Area since 1987.
Gary is Board Certified in Business Litigation by the Florida Bar, which is the highest level of recognition of an attorney’s competency and expertise in that area of law. Gary has been included in The Best Lawyers in America© from 2013-2018.
He is also AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rated (the highest level attainable) by Martindale-Hubbell, based upon the endorsement of his colleagues in the areas of professional conduct, ethics and ability, and has been selected by Florida Trend magazine as a member of the Legal Elite, recognizing the top tier of attorneys practicing in Florida as chosen by their colleagues.
His clients have included individuals, business owners, national and local financial institutions, multi-national, national and local businesses, governmental and quasi-governmental agencies.
Gary has over 20 years’ experience as a Certified Circuit and Federal Court Mediator and training in arbitration by the Florida Bar.
Gary has significant trial experience in the state and federal courts as well as appellate practice experience before Florida’s Second District Court of Appeal and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and is admitted to the United States Supreme Court.
- Jury defense verdict for a national financial institution accused of fraud, malicious prosecution, and negligence.
- Jury verdict in favor of a Brazilian manufacturing company, in a suit concerning defective packaging machinery.
- Favorable opinion from the federal Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in favor of a distributorship client, reversing a lower court ruling, and leading to a multi-million dollar settlement.
- National bank representation institution in its statewide trust business litigation.
- Quasi-public utility representation in multiple bankruptcies.
- Verdict in favor of national franchiser client in attempt by national creditor to pierce the corporate veil.
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America© from 2013-2019
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rated (the highest level attainable) by Martindale-Hubbell
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Gary has been a member of the Hillsborough County and Clearwater Bar Associations.
- Is a past director of the Largo Mid-Pinellas Chamber of Commerce.
- Now serves on the Public Policy and Transportation Committees of the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce as well as the Master Planning and Transportation Committees of the Westshore Alliance
- Has served as General Counsel to the Philippine Cultural Foundation, Inc. and Bacchus Events Solutions, Inc.