Kathleen Berkey is a shareholder attorney and a certified land planner (AICP). Her practice focuses on community association law and land use/development-related issues including planning, zoning and entitlements. Kathleen also concentrates on resolving environmental issues related to the land development. These include: permitting, drafting comprehensive plan amendments, and representing clients in local government administrative matters before city and county commissions, councils, and boards. As a certified land planner, she sometimes testifies as an expert witness on land use and zoning issues.
- Counsels and advises on federal, state, and local laws and compliance in the areas of building and environmental permitting, growth management, planning, and zoning.
- Coordinates due diligence, including utility plan review, surveys, zoning verifications, entitlement history review, environmental assessments, and title reports to ensure properties are acceptable for acquisition and development.
- Prepares variance, special exception, rezoning, conditional use, easement vacation, development order, comprehensive plan amendment, and land development code amendment applications and shepherded through local government approval process.
- Advocates for clients in planning and zoning matters before community groups, city councils, county commissions, and boards.
- Recognized by the Naples Herald as a “Top 40 Under 40” award recipient (2018).
- Recognized by Florida Trend Magazine as one of “Florida’s Legal Elite” as a “Legal Up & Comer” (2017).
- Recognized as a distinguished professional and community leader and honored by Gulfshore Business as one of the “Top 40 Under 40” (2014).
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Director, Keep Lee County Beautiful, Inc. (2016-Present)
- First Lee County Donor, Mothers’ Milk Bank of Florida (2015-2016, 2017-Present)
- Founding President, Young Professionals for Animal Protection (2014-2016)
- Director, Franklin & Marshall College Alumni Association Board (2013-2018)
- Southwest Florida Regional Chair, Connect Florida Board of Governors (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Service Committee of the Lee County Bar Association (2012-2014)
- Connect Florida by Leadership Florida (2012-Present)
- Executive Committee, Urban Land Institute Southwest Florida (Co-Chair, Young Leaders Group and Women’s Leadership Initiative) (2011-Present)
- Lee County Bar Association (2011-Present)
- Guardian ad Litem (2010-2014)
- American Planning Association (2007-Present)