Kathleen “Katie” Berkey is a shareholder attorney and a certified land planner (AICP). Ms. Berkey represents clients in zoning, land use, and planning matters, including: representing clients in local government administrative matters before city and county commissions, councils, and boards; environmental resource and water use permitting; local and state code compliance, and private and government contracting and negotiation. As a certified land planner, she is qualified to provide expert witness testimony on zoning, land use, and planning issues. Ms. Berkey also represents condominium, cooperative, and homeowners’ association clients with the management and operational aspects of governing their communities, as well as zoning and land use matters. Prior to joining the firm, she practiced community association, land use, zoning, and local government law, working closely with federal, state, and municipal agencies.
- Counsels and advises on federal, state, and local laws and compliance in the areas of building and environmental permitting, growth management, planning, and zoning.
- Coordinates due diligence, including utility plan review, surveys, zoning verifications, entitlement history review, environmental assessments, and title reports to ensure properties are acceptable for acquisition and development.
- Prepares variance, special exception, rezoning, conditional use, easement vacation, development order, comprehensive plan amendment, and land development code amendment applications and shepherded through local government approval process.
- Advocates for clients in planning and zoning matters before community groups, city councils, county commissions, and boards.
- Recognized by the Naples Herald as a “Top 40 Under 40” award recipient (2018).
- Recognized by Florida Trend Magazine as one of “Florida’s Legal Elite” as a “Legal Up & Comer” (2017).
- Recognized as a distinguished professional and community leader and honored by Gulfshore Business as one of the “Top 40 Under 40” (2014).
- Recognized as a finalist for the 2019 APEX Awards by the Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce’s Women in Business Committee. The awards honor Lee County residents who excel in professional achievement, community service/philanthropy, mentoring, and leadership.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Director, Keep Lee County Beautiful, Inc. (2016-Present)
- First Lee County Donor, Mothers’ Milk Bank of Florida (2015-2016, 2017-Present)
- Founding President, Young Professionals for Animal Protection (2014-2016)
- Director, Franklin & Marshall College Alumni Association Board (2013-2018)
- Southwest Florida Regional Chair, Connect Florida Board of Governors (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Service Committee of the Lee County Bar Association (2012-2014)
- Connect Florida by Leadership Florida (2012-Present)
- Executive Committee, Urban Land Institute Southwest Florida (Co-Chair, Young Leaders Group and Women’s Leadership Initiative) (2011-Present)
- Lee County Bar Association (2011-Present)
- Guardian ad Litem (2010-2014)
- American Planning Association (2007-Present)