Patrick Howell is Board Certified in Construction Law by the Florida Bar, a recognition for having the highest standards of skill, specialty knowledge, proficiency, professionalism and ethics in construction law. Patrick has represented condominium and HOA clients throughout Central and Northeast Florida, obtaining substantial results for his clients in construction defect cases brought against developers, contractors, and subcontractors. He has also successfully argued appellate cases before the First, Second, and Fifth District Courts of Appeal. Patrick won the landmark case of Maronda Homes v. Lakeview Reserve before the Florida Supreme Court, which was a great win for all Florida homeowners associations.
As construction counsel for residential community associations, Patrick is able to handle a community’s construction defect claim from beginning to end, including:
- Meeting with prospective clients to ascertain defect issues and dispense practical advice based on his years of experience in construction law
- Working with expert engineers and architects to prepare a report on defects
- Presenting the liable parties, including developers, contractors, and subcontractors, with a claim pursuant to Chapter 558, Florida Statutes
- Filing a lawsuit or arbitration claim
- Finalizing the claim either at a settlement conference or at trial/arbitration
- Conferring with his client to identify how to best use the claims proceeds obtained
- Drafting contracts for the repair of the association’s common areas or common elements.
Patrick has argued groundbreaking appellate cases before the First, Second, and Fifth District Courts of Appeal, as well as the Florida Supreme Court in the cases of Maronda Homes v. Lakeview Reserve HOA, Meritage Homes v. Lakes Roberts Landing HOA, Kings Ridge Community Ass’n, Inc. v. Sagamore Ins. Co., Airtran Airways v. AvAero Noise Reduction Joint Venture, Reserve at Wedgefield HOA v. Dixon, Lake Forest Master Comm. Ass’n, Inc. v. Orlando Lake Forrest Joint Venture, and Onionskin, Inc. v. DeCiccio.
Patrick has written numerous articles for the “Central Florida Times,” a monthly newsletter published by the Central Florida Chapter of the Community Association Institute, and for the “Community Connection,” the monthly newsletter published by the Northeast Florida Chapter of the Community Association Institute.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- The Florida Bar (Member, Trial Section; Board Member, Special Committee on Diversity and Inclusion)
- Member of the Orange County Bar Association Construction Law Committee
- Orange County Bar Association
- President of the Board, Orlando Youth Alliance
- Former Board Member, Frederick Leadership Initiative
- Former Chairman, Orange County Affordable Housing Citizen Advisory Board