Many task forces were convened in the aftermath of the Surfside tragedy, including one by the Florida Bar. All of those task forces urged the passage of new laws pertaining to reserve funding and engineering. However, the 2022 Legislative Session in Florida concluded on March 11 with none of those reforms being passed.
Host Donna DiMaggio Berger and Yeline Goin, Becker Senior Attorney and former Executive Director of the firm’s Community Association Leadership Lobby (CALL), walk us through a typical day in the life of a lobbyist in the Florida legislature. They discuss whether proposed requirements for funded reserves were just a legislative squabble, what the Florida Clean Indoor Acts can tell us about community association legislation, and the importance of lobbying in establishing clarity in bills.
- What are committee assignments and what do they mean for legislators personally and the bills they want to see pass?
- How successful do you think the alternative dispute resolution process is in Florida in terms of condominium and cooperative disputes?
- How reactive are legislators to emails and calls from constituents either in support of or opposed to a particular bill?
- Just how large a role do lobbyists have in the legislative process?
- Are legislators eager to sponsor community association legislation or do they need to be convinced to do so?
- Why aren’t there more stand-alone bills for important community association issues?
- Is 60 days enough for the Florida legislature to get everything done?
About Take It To The Board
Think you know what community association life is all about? Think again. Residents must obey the rules, directors must follow the law, and managers must keep it all running smoothly. Take It To The Board explores the reality of life in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners’ association, what’s really involved in serving on its board, and how to maintain that ever-so-delicate balance of being legally compliant and community spirited. Leading community association attorney Donna DiMaggio Berger acknowledges the balancing act without losing her sense of humor as she talks with a variety of association leaders, experts, and vendors about the challenges and benefits of the community association lifestyle.
If you’ve got a question, Take It To The Board with Donna DiMaggio Berger – We Speak Condo & HOA!