LexisNexis declares Business Litigation in Florida to be the “must-have” manual to clarify complex commercial issues and trial strategies for business practitioners and litigators in Florida. Becker litigator Jon Polenberg served as co-author for the definitive chapter on Commercial Arbitration, originally published in the 8th edition and subsequently revised for the 9th, 10th, and 11th (this year’s) editions.
As the most formal alternative to litigation, arbitration is generally considered a more efficient process than litigation because it is quicker, less expensive, and provides greater flexibility of process and procedure. “This resource aims to educate the layperson enough to collaborate effectively with their counsel,” says Polenberg, “and to reinforce process, procedures, and best practices for the actual lawyer or lawyers involved in a business dispute.”
This deep dive explores the history and scope of arbitration, controlling statutes and rules, and how to:
- Decide whether arbitration is the right course for a particular dispute;
- Determine the right to arbitrate and begin the process;
- Identify arbitrators and understanding their role in the procedures;
- Navigate both the pre-hearing and the actual hearing, including the rules around discovery and evidence; and
- Conclude the arbitration, including what to expect in terms of award and scope of relief and how to confirm or request further review of the award.
There is substantial review of the Federal Arbitration Act, the Florida International Commercial Arbitration Act, as well as an exploration of the Financial Industry Regularity Authority and court-ordered/court-annexed arbitration.
For more information, or to purchase your copy of Business Litigation in Florida, please click here.
A well-established litigator, Jon Polenberg regularly represents clients in state and federal courts, and through alternative dispute resolution methods. He also has extensive experience in business management which fuels his solutions-oriented legal strategies even today. To learn more about Jon, please click here.