Gabriel Monzon-Cortarelli is a shareholder in the firm’s corporate practice and Chair of the International Practice Group, Europe and Latin America. He has broad experience with cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, and strategic alliances involving the United States, Europe, and Latin America, and international capital market offerings for European and Latin American issuers and underwriters.
Gabriel, resident in New York and Milan, assists companies, entrepreneurs, and global private markets investors, including managed fund investors, fundless sponsors and private investors, entering or expanding their presence in the U.S., Latin American and European markets, as well as accessing the U.S. and European major public and private capital markets. Additionally, he represents global corporations in a broad spectrum of industry sectors including defense, food and beverage, retail, entertainment, logistics, transportation and automotive, engineering and energy, as well as, leading global financial institutions.
Gabriel is dual-qualified and dual-educated in the United States and United Kingdom and is registered with the New York Bar and Bars in other European jurisdictions. Prior to joining Becker, Gabriel practiced with various AmLaw 30 international law firms based in New York and Europe (Milan – Italy) where he led a dedicated group of lawyers advising on foreign direct investments in-bound to the United States and Latin America.
In addition to his legal experience, on secondment from his prior law firm and as part of a change of control transaction, Gabriel acted as executive board member of a European closed-end fund manager which managed closed-end funds with assets under management of €1.5bn. Gabriel also routinely acts as independent director in various corporate boards of European and U.S. companies.
In addition to his law degrees (LL.M and LL.B) from Fordham Law School and University College London, Gabriel has an MBA from Bocconi University School of Management. He is fluent in English, Italian and Spanish and has strong knowledge of French.
- Represented Edra Publishing, affiliate of Edra S.p.A., a leading Italian life sciences market access provider, part of the LSWR Group, in its acquisition of a controlling interest in RxData, Inc., a US venture backed market access, pricing and reimbursement services provider for the life sciences industry.
- Represented a leading Italian pharmaceutical company in a U.S. joint venture for the co-development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products in the U.S. with a U.S. NYSE listed pharmaceutical company.
- Represented an Italian state-owned enterprise, world leader in the design and production of industrial, power and special transformers, in the multi-million dollar distribution agreement for the supply of transformers to a national U.S. NYSE listed energy holding company.
- Represented a leading European renewable energy storage provider in its expansion in the United States.
- Represented a leading UK energy sponsor in its joint venture with a U.S. asset management firm in the sustainable investing sector.
- Represented a UK-US energy financial sponsor on U.S. law matters in connection with a strategic acquisition of a biogas project in Europe and the United States.
- Represented a European renewable energy investor on U.S. corporate matters in connection with various joint development agreements for the co-development of U.S. solar and other renewable energy projects.
- Represented a leading European renewable energy investor on corporate law and structuring matters in connection with its investment in a 115Mw wind farm in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented a leading Asian-European renewable energy investor in the formation of a joint venture for the acquisition of U.S. solar energy projects.
- Acted as lead counsel for SNAM S.p.A., natural gas conglomerate listed in the Italian stock exchange, in relation to U.S. law matters relating to SNAM’s tender for the acquisition of Transportadora Associada de Gás S.A., an affiliate of Petrobras, Brazilian multinational energy corporation.
- Represented a leading Italian-Spanish brand conglomerate in the food industry in its acquisition of a controlling stake in a U.S. food distributor.
- Represented an Italian global integrated logistics operator in its exit from a U.S. joint venture through the sale-back of its joint venture equity interest to the US minority joint venture partner.
- Represented Milano Investment Partners SGR S.p.A., a European growth capital fund manager, in the follow-on investment in a luxury e-commerce retailer.
- Represented a European water treatment company in its U.S. expansion through a joint venture with a leading U.S. water treatment company.
- Represented S.I.T. Sordina IORT Technologies S.p.A. and its U.S. subsidiary, a leading medical technology company in the field of radio therapy, in multiple U.S. joint venture transactions for expansion in the U.S. market.
- Represented an Italian global integrated logistics operator, in its U.S. and Latin American expansion through a series of strategic acquisitions of defense and commercial logistics operators in the United States.
- Represented a European specialty cable company in its U.S. expansion through a joint venture with a leading U.S. specialty cable company.
- Represented a U.S. supply chain management operator in the restructuring of its European operations.
- Represented a Italian rotational molding manufacturer with leading business units in the automotive, industrial and marine industries in the acquisition of a U.S. and Canadian rotational molding manufacturer.
- Represented a NYSE-listed manufacturer of engine management products on its disposal of non-core French and Italian business.
- Assisted U.S.-based and NYSE-listed telecommunication companies in various assets acquisitions in Mexico, Brazil and Argentina.
- Represented a private-equity backed leading European company in the production and marketing of bio-stimulants and fertilizers as corporate counsel in the U.S.
- Represented a private equity backed leading global manufacturer of adhesive tapes and masking tapes as corporate counsel in the United States.
- Represented a leading Italian private equity backed hospitality and wellness group in its expansion in the United States and launch of a New York City wellness center.
- Represented a leading Italian HVAC line-set tubing manufacture in its brownfield expansion in the United States.
- Represented a major Italian food and hospitality group, private equity backed, in its U.S. retail expansion.
- Represented an Italian financial institution as lender counsel on various bilateral term financings to U.S. subsidiaries of major European and Italian groups.
- Represented an Italian thermal coating manufacturing in the expansion of its operations in the United States.
- Acted as primary North American counsel for the U.S. subsidiaries of numerous leading private and publicly listed European companies.
- Represented a Borsa Italiana-listed company that researches and develops miniaturized and high-performance computers on its $60 million triangular merger with U.S. embedded chip manufacturer.
- Acted on U.S. securities laws aspects in respect to the partial offer by the largest gold producer in Russia for LSE Main Market listing of one of the largest gold mining companies in Kazakhstan. Represented the placing of said shares on the Main Market.
- Acted on the convertible debt offering and listing of a company that engages in the acquisition of agribusiness projects on Luxembourg Stock Exchanges Euro-MTF market.
- Represented the AIM market IPO of an international fabric engineering company and simultaneously reversed their merger with a California AIM-listed media company.
- Represented the proposed IPO of Italian companies on the AIM UK and AIM Italia markets.
- Represented the IPO on the Italian Stock Exchange of an Italian company that specializes in non-refillable closures for spirits.
- Represented the IPO on the Italian Stock Exchange of a privately owned investment management firm and an Italian yacht-manufacturing company.
- US-Italy Relations Lawyer of the Year 2016 (LeFonti)
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Member of the M&A Observatory Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Italy
- Member, Gruppo Esponenti Italiani (GEI), 2009-2017
- Board of Directors, Italy-America Chamber of Commerce in New York, 2011-2014