Paul H. Shur is a Shareholder in Becker’s Corporate Practice. Mr. Shur focuses his practice in all aspects of commercial and financial transactions and related litigation enforcing and defending creditors’ rights. Having 30 years of experience, he has represented a broad array of clients in secured lending, asset based lending, commercial finance, debt restructuring, sales and lease transactions, negotiable instruments, letters of credit, documents of title, real estate secured transactions, and title insurance defense.
A thought leader in his field, Mr. Shur has written extensively on a variety of topics including e-signatures and e-documents, commercial transactions, second lien financing, Uniform Commercial Code, equipment finance, and loan participation. Additionally, he is an avid speaker at industry seminars and conferences throughout New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania on topics of interest to clients and continuing legal education.
Mr. Shur is a Fellow of the prestigious American College of Commercial Finance Attorneys and serves as Education Chair to the New Jersey and New York Chapters of the Commercial Finance Association. He also serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the New York Institute of Credit, New Jersey Turnaround Management Association, and as Board Member Emeritus and Chair of the Banking Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
- Representation of long-time public healthcare client, DLH Corporation, in the closing of a $95 million credit facility for the acquisition of privately-held firm, Social & Scientific Systems (SSS). The newly acquired firm was purchased for $70 million in cash with a $25 million working capital revolving credit line available to support future cash needs.
- Representation of lender in an approximately $20 million asset based loan to a supplier of complex metal components and products serving the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. Led the negotiation of a sale of several subsidiaries of the borrower and coordination of a stock purchase where the purchase price was allocated to pay down the asset based loan in part and also toward several negotiated expenses relating to the sale.
- Representation of lender in a $17 million asset based loan and $6 million industrial development bond mortgage loan to a manufacturer of food service equipment and supplies. Led negotiations involved retiring of industrial development facility, restructure of asset based loan and cross collateralization with real estate loan.
- Representation of lender in a $13 million asset based loan to a public company and leader in the beverage category. Led negotiations with multiple warehouses involving warehouse liens and intercreditor agreements with private hedge fund which had advanced $17 million in mezzanine debt.
- Representation of finance company as lender in an ongoing asset based facility, amended ten times to a construction material provider. The tenth amendment involved negotiations with a public company guarantor for its acquisition of privately-held subsidiary which had previously advanced funds to the borrower.
- Representation of title insurance company insured owners of real estate facing litigation over the disposition of two estates and estate claims involving undisclosed heirs.
- Representation of title insurance company in defense of a claim arising from an alleged negligent search of title and disposition of marital claims.
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A – New Jersey, 2009 – present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007 – present
- “Lawyer of the Year” New Jersey, Banking and Finance Law, 2018
- “Lawyer of the Year” New York City, Banking and Finance Law, 2017
- Super Lawyers New York & New Jersey, 2009 – present
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- American College of Commercial Finance Attorneys, Fellow
- New York & New Jersey Chapters of the Commercial Finance Association, Education Chair
- New York Institute of Credit, Board of Directors
- New Jersey Turnaround Management Association, Board of Directors
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Banking Law Section, Board Member Emeritus and Chair