Steven Mezer has extensive experience in all aspects of community association operations and community association law. He represents condominium, homeowner and cooperative associations, where he handles matters relating to issues including collection of assessments, covenant enforcement and foreclosures. Mr. Mezer is also one of only 195 attorneys statewide who is a Board Certified Specialist in Condominium and Planned Development Law.
Mr. Mezer also practices comprehensively in commercial and business litigation, dispute resolution, commercial and residential collections, real property and lending, including purchase and sale transactions, closings, title insurance issues, and real estate litigation. He is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Real Estate Law, a fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), a member of the American Bar Association, the Hillsborough County Bar Association, and the College of Community Association Lawyers.
- Draft governing documents and amendments thereto;
- Dispense legal and practical advice regarding day-to-day disputes between community associations, owners, developers and governmental entities; Prepare contracts, addendums and modifications and assists in contractual negotiation and contractual dispute resolution;
- Give legal advice regarding requirements of the governing documents and the laws regarding elections, financial operations, insurance, assessment collection and maintenance, repair and replacement; and
- Prepare clients for elections, meetings of the Board/members, handling disasters.
- Representation in all forms and levels of litigation, administrative proceedings, and alternative dispute resolution.
- Representation of community association client in a dispute with Verizon over the planned relocation of a telecommunications facility pole in front of the condo’s main entrance. Successfully prohibited the installation on behalf of the client after performing an analysis and outreach to Sarasota’s Mayor, City Commissioners, and City Attorney.
- Top Lawyer (Real Estate), Tampa Bay Magazine, 2020
- John Arthur Jones Service Award – The Florida Bar Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section – 2015
- Rising Star Award – The Florida Bar Real Property Probate Trust Law Section – 2013
- Super Lawyer (Real Estate) (Top 100), 2016
- Super Lawyer (Real Estate), recognized 10+ years, including 2020 Martindale-Hubbell – AV Rated
- Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation – Real Estate, 2008 – present
- Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate, 2008 – present
- Member, College of Community Association Lawyers; Florida Trend Legal Elite – 2017
- Fellow American College of Real Estate Lawyers
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Executive Committee of the Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section (RPPTL) of The Florida Bar, July 1. With over 11,000 members, the RPPTL Section is The Florida Bar’s largest section
- Group Chair, Hospitality, Timesharing & Common Interests Development Group of The American Bar Association, 2019 – 2021
- Member of CAI’s College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL)
- Chair of American College of Real Estate Lawyers’ Common Interest Housing Committee (2019 – 2021); Member of Diversity Committee
- Chair of the Hospitality Group for the American Bar Association (2018 – 2021)
- The Florida Bar Grievance Committee 6-C (1997-2000)
- David A. Straz, Jr. Performing Arts Center
- Board of Trustees (2005, 2007-present); Co-chair of Diversity Committee and Member of the Board of Governance Committee
- Chair of Board of Governance Committee (2011- 2016)
- Secretary (2011-2015)
- Past Chair: Broadway Ball
- Past Chair: Taste the Best of Tampa Bay
- Tampa Preparatory School
- Vice President (2011 – 2012)
- Board of Trustees (2008-2014)
- Pro-Bono – Approximately 100 hours/year representing homeowner or tenant defendants in litigation brought against them for foreclosure, eviction or violation of HOA or Condominium restrictions.
- JDRF – Fundraising
- USF College of Public Health
- Bringing Science Home – Participated in funding and promotional video (2009-present)
- American Diabetes Association – Fundraising
- Suncoast Community Associations Institute (CAI)
- Member (1982-present)
- President (1986)