The House returned to session Tuesday evening. Congressman Josh Gottheimer (D-NJ) is expected to hold a news conference rolling out a legislative agenda aimed at supporting military families. Democratic Leaders in both the House and Senate will hold a news conference with healthcare patients ahead of the State of the Union address to urge the President Trump to work with Democrats on legislation to lower prescription drug costs and expand healthcare coverage. There are also a number of important Committee hearings happening this week including:
- The Judiciary Committee will hold an FBI oversight hearing
- The Appropriations Committee’s Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development will hold an oversight hearing examining the Department of Energy’s role in advancing biomedical sciences
- The Homeland Security Committee will hold a hearing examining the Department of Homeland Security’s use of facial recognition software and other biometric technologies
- The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee’s Subcommittee on Highways and Transit will hold a hearing entitled “Assessing the Transportation Needs of Tribes, Federal Land Management Agencies, and U.S. Territories”
- The Financial Services Committee will hold a hearing entitled “Protecting Consumers or Allowing Consumer Abuse? A Semi-Annual Review of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau”
The Senate is also in session this week. Following final deliberations on Monday and Tuesday, a final vote in the Impeachment trial of President Trump is expected on Wednesday. With the trial winding down, the Senate has begun returning to regular business this week with a number of Committee hearings including:
- The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation Subcommittee on Transportation and Safety will hold a hearing on perspectives on trucking in America.
- The Veterans Affairs Committee will hold a hearing entitled “VA MISSION Act: Update on the Implementation of the Community Care Network”
- The Senate Finance Committee will hold a hearing to consider pending nominations for Kipp Kranbul (Assistant Secretary of the Treasury), Sarah Arbes (Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services), and Jason Fichtner (membership on the Social Security Advisory Board)
The President will deliver the State of the Union address Tuesday evening on the House floor. Later this week, President Trump is expected to speak at the National Prayer Breakfast, participate in a swearing-in ceremony for new ambassadors, and meet with the president of Kenya. On Friday, the president is expected to travel to Charlotte, North Carolina to speak at the North Carolina Opportunity Now summit and attend a fundraising dinner.
Brought to you by the Federal Lobbying Team at Becker & Poliakoff