The Becker Federal Lobbying team includes Washington, D.C. insiders and Capital Hill veterans. The team is highly regarded by Members of Congress and executive and committee staff members as effective advocates for their clients’ interests. Our lobbying team is politically diverse, which enables the members of our team to work successfully on both sides of the aisle. Because of their collective years of experience on Capitol Hill, they are skilled in identifying federal funding, programs, and services of critical interest to clients.
The team has pursued effective federal relations agendas to their successful conclusion, bringing in federal monies for projects of significant regional and national importance. These successes are the result of the close professional working relationships we have developed with key elected officials, congressional leaders, and members on the House and Senate Appropriations Committees. Furthermore, our years of congressional experience have resulted in long-standing professional relationships with staff members of many committees in the House and the Senate, which we are able to use to the benefit of our clients.
In addition, members of Becker’s local and state government practices have worked closely with House and Senate leaders, many of whom began their career in local and state government. The Federal lobbying team has extensive experience in issues relating to federal appropriations, heath care, higher education, homeland security, defense, taxation, alternative energy, local government issues and international trade.
Notable Client Representations:
- International Yacht Brokers Association (a client since 2014), Becker’s Federal lobbying team represents the Florida Yacht Brokers Association, which was created in 1987 to unite those engaged in the yacht brokerage business for promoting professionalism and cooperation among its members. The organization is comprised of over 1,100 individual members representing over 400 businesses. Becker worked with members of the U.S. House and Senate to introduce legislation allowing foreign-flagged boats to defer payment of any duty owed until after a sale is made. The House bill has 15 bipartisan cosponsors and Becker has worked to secure support from relevant committees and agencies. Becker also organizes IYBA fly-ins and meetings with members of Congress and the Senate.
- America’s Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs), Becker’s Federal lobbying team represents America’s nationwide network of SBDCs – the most comprehensive small business assistance network in the United States and its territories. The mission of America’s SBDCs is to represent the interests of its members by promoting, informing, supporting and continuously improving America’s nationwide network of SBDCs. The mission is to help new entrepreneurs realize the dream of business ownership, and to assist existing businesses to remain competitive in the complex marketplace of an ever-changing global economy. Hosted by leading universities, colleges and state economic development agencies, and funded in part by the United States Congress through a partnership with the U.S. Small Business Administration, nearly 1,000 service centers are available to provide no-cost business consulting and low-cost training. Becker secured $130 million in appropriations for America’s SBDC, an increase of $30 million from the President’s budget. Becker also worked to organize America’s SBDC’s Congressional fly-in, Congressional reception, and conference.
- The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), Becker’s Federal lobbying team represents the nation’s radio and television broadcasters. As the premier trade association for broadcasters, NAB advances the interests of its members in federal government, industry and public affairs; improves the quality and profitability of broadcasting; encourages content and technology innovation; and spotlights the important and unique ways stations serve their communities. The NAB is the chief advocate of broadcasters in our nation’s capital, ensuring policymakers are informed on the issues that impact the broadcasting industry. Broadcasters recognize the importance of educating Congress, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the administration on how legislation and regulations affect their business, and more importantly, the listening and viewing public. The NAB is headquartered in Washington, D.C. The Becker lobbying team monitors legislation affecting the industry at Congressional hearings and mark ups and connects congressional staff to various NAB events.
- The Latino Coalition (TLC), is a non-profit nationwide organization represented by Becker’s Federal Lobbying team that addresses policy issues that directly affect the well-being of Hispanics in the United States. TLC’s agenda is to develop initiatives and partnerships that will foster economic equivalency and enhance overall business, economic and social development of Latinos. TLC has become one of the most effective national Latino groups addressing issues that directly impact Hispanic businesses and consumers. Becker has helped organize the Latino Coalition’s Legislative Summit and other events that have featured President Donald Trump, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, Treasurer of the U.S. Jovita Carranza, and Senator Orrin Hatch.
- ACR Electronics, Inc., designer and manufacturer of rescue beacons and survival gear for marine, aviation, outdoor, and military markets. Its products include automatic identification systems, signaling fares, personal locator beacons, EPIRBs and accessories, search lights, rescue and distress lights, and survival products and GMDSS; emergency locator transmitters (ELT) for general aviation, business jet, rotorcraft/helicopter, and commercial/military applications; and ELT antennas, remote switches, and accessories. The company serves boaters, pilots, hunters, hikers, combat troops, boat builders, aircraft manufacturers, airlines, and governments. It offers its products through a network of dealers, distributors, original equipment manufacturers, and battery/service providers worldwide. The company was founded in 1956 and is based in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- A&J Capital (A&J), a financial services & advisory firm with significant experience in EB-5, private equity, turnaround, and investment management. A&J’s professionals seek to take advantage of opportunities in various economic climates by leveraging their experience in private equity, investment banking, turnaround consulting, distressed investing, and commercial real estate. A&J Capital is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA.
- Algenol Biotech, founded in 2006, is an industrial biotechnology company commercializing the use of hybrid algae to make ethanol and high-value organic green-chemicals directly from carbon dioxide, water and sunlight. Algenol has fully equipped biological research and engineering laboratories and specialized algal growing facilities. The Company operates a zero discharge, licensed aquaculture facility for research and development and has assembled one of the largest collections of blue-green algae strains in the world. Ultimately, Algenol intends to profitably produce billions of gallons of ethanol each year to meet the needs of the U.S. market and to operate in foreign countries either through subsidiaries, joint ventures or license arrangements. Algenol is located in Fort Myers, FL.
- America’s Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) represents America’s nationwide network of Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) – the most comprehensive small business assistance network in the United States and its territories. The mission of America’s SBDC is to represent the interests of our members and their SBDCs, by promoting, informing, supporting and continuously improving America’s nationwide network of SBDCs. The mission of America’s nationwide network of SBDCs is to help new entrepreneurs realize the dream of business ownership, and to assist existing businesses to remain competitive in the complex marketplace of an ever-changing global economy. Hosted by leading universities, colleges and state economic development agencies, and funded in part by the United States Congress through a partnership with the U.S. Small Business Administration, nearly 1,000 service centers are available to provide no-cost business consulting and low-cost training.
- Bethune-Cookman University (B-CU), was founded in 1904 by Mary McLeod Bethune. The school achieved University status in 2007 with the launch of a master’s degree program in transformative leadership. B-CU offers baccalaureate and master degrees in 37 majors/disciplines through seven academic schools – Arts & Humanities; Business; Education; Nursing; Science, Engineering and Mathematics; Social Sciences and Graduate and Professional Studies – and maintains intercollegiate athletic programs and instrumental and choral groups that have achieved national recognition. Located in Daytona Beach, B-CU is one of three private historically black colleges in the state of Florida. The institution boasts a diverse and international faculty and student body of more than 3,500 and the largest graduating class in Bethune-Cookman University history, granting over 570 degrees in spring of 2011.
- Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, is a national 501(c) (3) organization that develops and implements extensive public health and safety programs and utilizes the courts to reduce gun violence. Through their public health and safety programs, they inspire safer attitudes and behaviors around the 300 million guns already in our homes and communities and new gun purchases taking place every day. The Brady Center is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- City of Cape Coral, Florida, located in Lee County, Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico. Founded in 1957 and developed as a master-planned, pre-platted community, the city has grown to a 2010 population of 154,305. With an area of 120 square miles (310 km2), Cape Coral is the largest city between Tampa and Miami. The city is known as a “Waterfront Wonderland”, since with over 400 mi (640 km) of navigable waterways, Cape Coral has more miles of canals than any other city in the world.
- City of Miami Gardens, Florida, population 105,457; it is the third largest city in Miami-Dade County (after Miami and Hialeah). Miami Gardens is home to Hard Rock Stadium, used by the Miami Dolphins, and Calder Race Track. It has vibrant commercial corridors along the Palmetto Expressway (serving as the central shopping district for the furniture trade) and along U.S. 441 (serving the automobile trade). The city has rail access through the Florida East Coast Railway and the South Florida Tri-Rail System.
- City of North Miami, Florida, 2010 All-America City award winner, North Miami is one of South Florida’s best kept secrets. Conveniently located between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, North Miami provides easy access to the beaches, Miami International Airport, the Port of Miami, and a wide array of tourist attractions. The fifth largest city in Miami-Dade County is also home to one of the most ethnically diverse communities in the entire state. North Miami has a rich history dating back to the 1800’s. After becoming incorporated on February 5, 1926, the City grew exponentially from then on. A tour through North Miami demonstrates that the City boasts the largest concentration of mid-century modern buildings in South Florida, it is committed to a strong educational and arts community, to pride in its beautiful parks, and is moving forward towards a healthier, greener community.
- City of West Park, Florida, a municipality in Broward County, Florida, was created on March 1, 2005. It is located in the southeastern part of the county and consists of the neighborhoods of Carver Ranches, Lake Forest, Miami Gardens (Broward County), and Utopia. A large portion of the city lies west of the town of Pembroke Park, so the new city was called “West Park”. With a population of 14,156 as of the 2010 census, the city is bordered by Miami-Dade County on the south, Pembroke Park on the east, Hollywood on the north and Miramar on the west.
- Collier County, Florida, was created in 1923 from Lee County. It was named for Barron Collier, a New York City advertising mogul and real estate developer who had moved into Southwest Florida and established himself as a prominent land owner. Collier County has a total area of 2,305 square miles and is the largest county in Florida by land area and fourth-largest by total area. Virtually the entire southeastern portion of the county lies within the Big Cypress National Preserve. The northernmost portion of Everglades National Park extends into the southern coastal part of the county. As of the 2010 census, the population was 321,520. Its county seat is East Naples, where the county offices were moved from Everglades in 1962.
- Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Inc., has two construction and repair facilities in Panama City, Florida and has been in business since 1976 building, converting and repairing vessels in steel and aluminum of all types including: offshore and harbor tugs, offshore/platform supply vessels, multi-purpose construction vessels, research vessels, firefighting vessels, barges, ferries, passenger vessels, fishing vessels and inland towboats. Eastern’s diversity and commitment to its customers makes it one of the most successful U.S. shipbuilders in the marine shipbuilding industry and its sizable fleet of quality built vessels can be found from coast to coast and around the world. Eastern’s history includes a portfolio of over 350 vessels and Eastern is one of the most diverse vessel construction companies as a result of its state of the art production line and fabrication process.
- Florida Crystals Corporation, a leading domestic sugar producer headquartered in West Palm Beach, FL, and North America’s first fully integrated cane sugar company, guiding their sugar from the field to the table. They are America’s first and only producer of certified organic sugar, grown and harvested in the United States, and the first sugar certified CarbonFree® by Carbonfund.org. Their renewable energy facility is the largest of its kind in North America and provides clean energy that powers their sugar operations and tens of thousands of homes, which helps reduce their use of fossil fuels.
- Florida International University (FIU), a public research university located in Miami, FL, with its main campus in University Park in Miami-Dade County. FIU is regarded as a research university with high research activity by the Carnegie Foundation and a first-tier research university by the Florida Legislature. Founded in 1965, FIU belongs to the 12-campus State University System of Florida and is one of Florida’s primary graduate research universities, awarding over 3,400 graduate and professional degrees annually. The university offers 191 programs of study with more than 280 majors in 23 colleges and schools. FIU offers many graduate programs, including architecture, business administration, engineering, law, and medicine, offering 81 master’s degrees, 34 doctoral degrees, and 3 professional degrees. FIU is the largest university in South Florida, the 2nd-largest in Florida, and the 7th-largest in the United States. Total enrollment in 2012 was 50,394 students, including 14,177 graduate students, and 2,974 full-time faculty with over 180,000 alumni around the world. In 2012, FIU’s research expenditure was $104.6 million, with an endowment of $140 million. The university has an annual budget of $1.07 billion.
- Florida Memorial University (FMU), a private, coeducational four-year university in Miami Gardens, Florida. It is the only Historically Black College or University in Miami. FMU has 41 undergraduate degree programs, graduate programs in education and business administration, and is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, the National Association of Schools of Music, and the Council on Social Work Education. The University is widely known for its successful pilot training program and that program’s most recognized graduate, Barrington Irving, the youngest African American pilot to fly solo around the world.
- Florida Yacht Brokers Association, was created in 1987 to unite those engaged in the yacht brokerage business for the purpose of promoting professionalism and cooperation among its members. The organization is comprised of over 1100 individual members representing over 400 businesses. The Yacht & Brokerage Show, held yearly in Miami, is owned jointly by the Florida Yacht Brokers Association and Yachting Promotions Inc. The show represents a significant cornerstone of achievement to the Association and the yacht brokerage community. The Florida Yacht Brokers Association recently became the International Yacht Brokers Association and they are headquartered in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Gold Coast Florida Regional Center (GCFRC), is a federally licensed and approved foreign equity investment fund that focuses on key real estate investment and development opportunities, that offers individuals and their immediate family members the opportunity to obtain permanent residency status under the EB-5 Regional Center Program. Gold Coast Florida Regional Center is making Hollywood Circle its first project. A fully entitled and approved mixed-use development on Young Circle in Downtown Hollywood, the Hollywood Circle project is expected to pump $160 million into the local economy and create almost 3,000 new jobs.
- Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. Hitachi Data Systems powers the digital enterprise by integrating the best information technology and operational technology from across the Hitachi family of companies, including public safety and homeland security technology integration and analytics. The company has its corporate headquarters in Santa Clara, California and has business offices in the United States, Australia/New Zealand, Canada, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
- IDEMIA, the world leader in multibiometric technologies for fingerprint, iris and facial recognition, and an acknowledged expert in identification systems. Its solutions meet a wide range of security needs for people, companies and governments worldwide, including identity management, personal rights for residents and travelers, physical access to airports or other high-value sites, and logical access, either online or via secure terminals. IDEMIA headquarters are located near Washington D.C., with major corporate facilities in Anaheim, CA and Federal Way, WA, and regional facilities throughout the U.S.
- Intuit, a leading provider of business and financial management solutions for small and mid-sized businesses; financial institutions, including banks and credit unions; consumers and accounting professionals. Their flagship products and services, including QuickBooks, Quicken and TurboTax software, simplify small business management, payroll and payment processing, personal finance, and tax preparation and filing. ProSeries and Lacerte are Intuit’s leading tax preparation software suites for professional accountants. The company’s financial institutions division, anchored by Intuit Financial Services, provides on-demand banking services to help banks and credit unions serve businesses and consumers with innovative solutions. Intuit is headquartered in Mountain View, CA.
- Lexipol, LLC, America’s leading provider of defensible policies and training for public safety organizations, delivering our services through a unique, web-based development system. Lexipol offers state-specific policy manuals, regular policy updates and daily scenario based training against policy. Lexipol provides more than 150 policies based on federal and state statutes, case law, regulations and best practices. The Lexipol policy manual is written by legal and public safety professionals who constantly monitor major court decisions, legislation and emerging trends affecting your industry. Lexipol provides regular updates in response to legislative mandates, case law and the evolution of best practices. Gordon Graham and Bruce Praet founded Lexipol and since 2003, Lexipol’s proven policy and training solutions have helped public safety agencies across the country reduce risk and avoid litigation. Lexipol has offices in Frisco, TX and Irvine, CA.
- LRAD Corporation, using long-range communication to safely hail and warn, inform and direct, prevent misunderstandings, determine intent, establish large safety zones, resolve uncertain situations and save lives on both sides of its Long Range Acoustic Device® (LRAD®). Unlike bullhorns, vehicle P.A. systems and conventional loudspeakers that disperse sound in all directions, LRAD’s proprietary audio technology focuses sound in a 15° – 30° beam in front of its Long Range Acoustic Devices, while significantly reducing audio levels behind the devices and in surrounding areas. LRAD systems broadcast live or recorded voice messages with exceptional clarity in any operational scenario. LRAD’s advanced driver and waveguide technology ensures every voice and warning siren broadcast cuts through crowd, engine, and background noise, and is clearly heard and understood, even inside buildings and vehicles. LRAD Corporation is headquartered in San Diego, CA.
- National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), the voice for the nation’s radio and television broadcasters. As the premier trade association for broadcasters, NAB advances the interests of their members in federal government, industry and public affairs; improves the quality and profitability of broadcasting; encourages content and technology innovation; and spotlights the important and unique ways stations serve their communities. The NAB is the chief advocate of broadcasters in our nation’s capital, ensuring policymakers are informed on the issues that impact the broadcasting industry. Broadcasters recognize the importance of educating Congress, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the administration on how legislation and regulations affect their business, and more importantly, the listening and viewing public. The NAB is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- Palm Beach County, Florida, the largest county in Florida in land area. According to the 2010 Census, Palm Beach County has a base population of 1,320,134, making it the third largest county in Florida behind Miami-Dade and Broward and the twenty-eighth largest in the country. About 55 percent of Palm Beach County residents live in one of 38 municipalities, the remaining 587,844 living in unincorporated areas.
- The Portable Factory, the leading solutions provider of high quality deliverables from first concept to finished parts and cost-effective through the entire process spectrum. Portable Factory has years of experience in the area of engineering, product development, prototyping and manufacturing. Portable Factory delivers first class turnkey solutions and constantly develops new products, methods or technologies. They have over 30,000 square feet of engineering offices, design studios, large conference spaces, and prototyping and manufacturing areas in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
- Sarasota County, Florida, anchors the middle of Florida’s western coast, approximately 60 miles south of Tampa Bay. It consists of the cities of Sarasota, Venice, and North Port, and the Town of Longboat Key. Sarasota County is home to approximately 381,000 permanent residents; more than 450,000 during the winter months and the community encompasses over 563 square miles, and is surrounded by 37 miles of open shoreline along the Gulf of Mexico.
- Shotspotter (SST, Inc.), its products are the world’s most trusted, most scalable and most powerful gunfire alert and analysis solutions. Agencies that have adopted ShotSpotter solutions and best practices as part of a comprehensive crime-reduction strategy have reported reductions in urban gunfire by up to 80% and related violent crime by as much as 40%. Police and law enforcement agencies around the globe are using ShotSpotter to provide real-time information about gunfire and explosions, enabling a more effective response to gun violence and giving them a more complete picture of crime, so that they can better protect their personnel and their communities. Shotspotter is headquartered in Newark, CA.
- Town of Davie, Florida, home to over 90,000 residents who live within central Broward County. The Town of Davie is also the nexus of higher education in South Florida where several nationally known colleges, technical institutes, and universities make up the South Florida Educational Center. The home of the Miami Dolphins who practice daily at Nova Southeastern University, Davie is ideally located among major thoroughfares such as the Ronald Reagan Turnpike, I-595, I-75, and is within a few minutes travel to the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport and Florida’s deepest port, Port Everglades.
- Univision Communications, Inc. (UCI), an American media company serving Hispanic and Latino Americans. The company dates back to the first Spanish language television network in the U.S., founded in the early 1960s as Spanish International Network (SIN). UCI has evolved into a multimedia company with 16 broadcast, cable and digital networks; 61 television stations; and online and mobile apps, products and content creation facilities in New York City, Los Angeles, and Miami. UCI’s headquarters is in Midtown Manhattan.
- Uphold, Inc. combines a platform app model with payment connectivity to offer financial services to a global market. Uphold empowers innovation in financial services through a platform approach where app developers and fintech partners can leverage Uphold’s reach through licensed relationships with banks and financial services partners around the world. Built on a core of proprietary technologies and e-money apps, Uphold serves 184+ countries, across 30+ currencies (traditional and crypto) and commodities with frictionless foreign exchange and cross-border remittance for members around the world. Since their launch in 2015, Uphold has powered more than US$3+ billion in transactions. Uphold is headquartered in Larkspur, CA and has offices in London, Shanghai and Braga, Portugal.
- U.S. Security Associates, Inc., (USA), is the largest wholly owned American security company, with over 160 locally-responsive offices providing premier national security services and global consulting and investigations. USA provides career paths for over 50,000 security professionals serving several thousand clients and a range of industries. Innovative applications of leading-edge, proprietary technology enable USA to rank annually among the world’s best training companies, sustain the highest standards of quality, and underscore world-class customer service with unparalleled accountability. USA’s rise as one of today’s largest security companies is a natural byproduct of these differentiators together with a commitment to investing in employee reward and development, giving back to local communities and relentlessly striving to be a security company that is Safe. Secure. Friendly. ® USA is headquartered in Roswell, GA.
- Ygrene Energy Fund, a national leader in residential and commercial clean energy financing. Founded in 2010, Ygrene’s award-winning, privately funded Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) program is revolutionizing the home improvement industry, making it easier for property owners to invest in their futures and a healthier environment. Ygrene is delivering greater choice for home and business owners by providing accessible and affordable financing for energy efficiency, renewables, water conservation, storm protection and seismic upgrades. Recognized as one of the fastest growing asset classes in the country, PACE has proven to be a successful tool for supporting public policy initiatives, all without the use of public tax dollars or credits. To date, Ygrene has provided over $1 billion of private capital to more than 400 local communities, creating thousands of jobs and investing millions into local economies across the United States. Ygrene Energy Fund is headquartered in Petaluma, CA.