The spread of the Novel Coronavirus has motivated state and local governments to mandate reduced operations or business closings across the country. Owners of private construction projects and their contractors, managers, subcontractors, and suppliers have been left scrambling to understand their rights and liabilities.
Becker’s Claramargaret Groover discusses contractual and practical considerations for construction projects and suggests steps parties may take right now to address these issues including:
- Establishing a COVID-19 team, which is supported by outside counsel and consultants.
- Determining whether the project can continue as “essential” or “non-essential.”
- Complying with state, local, and federal guidelines.
- Reviewing your contracts and other contractual provisions.
- Determination of force majeure or other delay provisions.