Could volunteer board members do their jobs more effectively and less stressfully with the solid communication skills a professional coach can impart? In this episode of Take It To The Board, host Donna DiMaggio Berger speaks with Carmelo Millimaci, Professional Certified Coach. He is a member of the International Coaching Federation and a Senior Coach of Ackert Inc., a leader in development coaching. He also founded Attune Coaching and Consulting. They discuss how community association board members could use their professional skills in their volunteer roles, and how a little coaching could go a long way. (The links mentioned in the podcast can be found in the Helpful Links section below.)
- What constitutes coaching?
- What does it mean to take a coaching approach when trying to resolve conflicts?
- What is the professional definition of coaching?
- What are the core coaching competencies?
- When dealing with a resident violating the rules, how can a board or manager defuse the situation and reach a resolution with that person?
- How can a history of conflict between two parties create challenges for the coaching process?
- What is an “inquisitive mindset” and how can that help address conflicts?
- How can directors with very different views on the community, enforcement, and other issues learn to trust each other?
- Is it possible to coach the personality type that can’t really accept consequences?
- How important is it to stress diversity on a board? What does diversity contribute?
- What questions should new board members ask about their roles and their obligations?
- Should community associations craft mission statements or vision statements?
- What are the three levels of listening?
- How can board members undertake effective planning and goal-setting?
- How should boards choose the best “mouthpiece” to communicate with residents, vendors, etc.?
- How can board members and managers conduct interviews with new purchasers and tenants to set the right tone?
About Take It To The Board
Think you know what community association life is all about? Think again. Residents must obey the rules, directors must follow the law, and managers must keep it all running smoothly. Take It To The Board explores the reality of life in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners’ association, what’s really involved in serving on its board, and how to maintain that ever-so-delicate balance of being legally compliant and community spirited. Leading community association attorney Donna DiMaggio Berger acknowledges the balancing act without losing her sense of humor as she talks with a variety of association leaders, experts, and vendors about the challenges and benefits of the community association lifestyle.
If you’ve got a question, Take It To The Board with Donna DiMaggio Berger – We Speak Condo & HOA!
- Becker Lawyers | Legal and Business Strategists
- Florida Condo & HOA Law Blog | Powered by beckerlawyers.com
- Becker’s Online Class Library
- Take It To The Board with Marisa DiLenge (Part I)
- Take It To The Board with Marisa DiLenge (Part II)
- Ackert Inc.
- International Coaching Federation
- Attune Coaching and Consulting