In this episode of Take It To the Board, host Donna DiMaggio Berger speaks with Becker Shareholder Joy Mattingly, who oversees Becker’s collection and foreclosure practice. Joy is an experienced litigator who represents all types of associations in collecting the delinquent assessments needed to fund the community’s essential services. She’s a graduate of University of Florida’s Levin School of Law and clerked for Judge Mark E. Polen at Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeals.
Donna and Joy discuss the mechanics of a successful foreclosure practice, what boards need to know about “creative” debt collection companies, and how collection attorneys cope with such a demanding practice area.
Topics covered include:
- How to handle the elderly who have “aged-in” to their home and may not be able to pay rising fees.
- The importance of establishing collection team roles and managing stress.
- Typical steps and claims an owner may take in fighting a foreclosure.
- The likelihood of getting a case resolved before foreclosure.
- The timeline and steps to finalize an uncontested foreclosure.
- The role that bankruptcy might play.
- What a “strategic default” is and how you should deal with it.
- The role of repayment plans.
- What associations need to know about collection agencies and “creative” debt collection companies.
- The biggest mistake association boards make when it comes to collecting delinquent assessments.
About Take It to the Board
Think you know what community association life is all about? Think again. Residents must obey the rules, directors must follow the law, and managers must keep it all running smoothly. Take It To the Board explores the reality of life in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners’ association, what’s really involved in serving on its board, and how to maintain that ever-so-delicate balance of being legally compliant and community spirited. Leading community association attorney Donna DiMaggio Berger acknowledges the balancing act without losing her sense of humor as she talks with a variety of association leaders, experts, and vendors about the challenges and benefits of the community association lifestyle.
If you’ve got a question, Take It To the Board with Donna DiMaggio Berger – We Speak Condo & HOA!
- Online Class: Collection and Foreclosure Strategies for Community Associations | Becker (beckerlawyers.com)
- Becker Lawyers | Legal and Business Strategists
- CALL | Powered by beckerlawyers.com
- Florida Condo & HOA Law Blog | Powered by beckerlawyers.com
- Collections & Foreclosure | Becker (beckerlawyers.com)