Condo and HOA battles make the news fairly frequently and when they do, volunteer board members, managers and residents need a crash course on how to interact with the media on a moment’s notice. Laura Guitar, President of marketing communications firm, Reputation & Risk Advisors, a division of RBB Communications, joins host Donna DiMaggio Berger to discuss the ways her team focuses on crisis preparedness planning, issue-oriented campaigns, litigation communications, and programs to mitigate reputational risk whenever a community, person or other entity finds themselves in the media’s crosshairs!
Conversation highlights include:
- Learn the steps a person should take when a member of the media first reaches out for comment on a story.
- How can someone avoid being misquoted?
- Are members of the media bound by any specific code of ethics?
- Does refusing to comment on a story have a negative connotation?
- Do negative stories regarding a particular community lower the property values in that community?
- What exactly should the role of media be when telling human interest stories?
- How often does the media rush to judgment and then fail to provide follow-up on important stories?
- How affordable is crisis management for the average community association?
Bonus: Laura discusses the continuing trend of diminished trust in the media and what members of the media do to restore that trust.
About Take It To The Board
Think you know what community association life is all about? Think again. Residents must obey the rules, directors must follow the law, and managers must keep it all running smoothly. Take It To The Board explores the reality of life in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners’ association, what’s really involved in serving on its board, and how to maintain that ever-so-delicate balance of being legally compliant and community spirited. Leading community association attorney Donna DiMaggio Berger acknowledges the balancing act without losing her sense of humor as she talks with a variety of association leaders, experts, and vendors about the challenges and benefits of the community association lifestyle.
If you’ve got a question, Take It To The Board with Donna DiMaggio Berger – We Speak Condo & HOA!