The House returns to session Monday evening. Following confirmed reports of the first U.S. death related to the coronavirus, the House is expected to vote this week on an emergency funding measure to provide $7 billion in funds to combat the disease. In addition to those focusing on the coronavirus, the House is expected to hold a number of important hearings this week including:
- On Wednesday, the Homeland Security Committee will hold a hearing entitled “Confronting the Coronavirus: Perspectives on the Response to a Pandemic Threat”
- On Wednesday, the Oversight and Reform Committee’s Subcommittee on National Security will hold a hearing entitled “U.S. Biodefense and Response to the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak”
- On Wednesday, the Committee on Appropriations T-HUD Subcommittee will hold a hearing entitled “Department of Housing, Urban Affairs, and Development Budget Request for FY2021”
- On Thursday, the Science, Space and Technology Committee will hold a hearing entitled “Beyond Coronavirus: Understanding the Spread of Infectious Diseases and Mobilizing Innovative Solutions”
- On Thursday, the Veterans Affairs Committee’s Subcommittee on Technology Modernization will hold a hearing entitled “Getting it Right: Challenges with the Go-live of Electronic Health Record Modernization.”
The Senate also returns to session on Monday and is expected to take a procedural vote on a massive energy bill being championed by Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Chairwoman Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). While the measure is considered bipartisan, Democrats are expected to offer a number of amendments including some pertaining to clean energy tax credits and the use of hydrofluorocarbons.
There are also a number of important committee hearings expected in the Senate this week including:
- On Tuesday, the International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness Subcommittee of the Finance Committee will hold a hearing entitled “Censorship as a Non-Tariff Barrier to Trade”
- On Wednesday, the Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee’s Subcommittee on Aviation and Space will hold a hearing entitled “From SARS to Coronavirus: Examining the Role of Global Aviation in Containing the Spread of Infectious Disease”
- On Wednesday, the Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee will hold a hearing entitled “5G Supply Chain Security: Threats and Solutions”
- On Thursday, the Homeland Security Committee will hold a hearing entitled “The Federal Interagency Response to the Coronavirus and Preparing for Future Global Pandemics.”
President Donald Trump has a busy week ahead as his Administration works to combat the spread of the coronavirus in the U.S. On Monday, President Trump will hold meetings with Colombia President Ivan Duque and pharmaceutical industry executives before departing for North Carolina for a campaign rally in Charlotte. On Tuesday, the President is expected to speak at the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference. On Wednesday, President Trump will deliver remarks at the Latino Coalition Legislative Summit. The President will participate in a townhall-style event on Fox News Thursday evening. Finally, on Friday, President Trump will travel to Atlanta to visit the Centers for Disease Control before heading to a fundraiser in Florida.
Brought to you by the Federal Lobbying Team at Becker & Poliakoff