With one of the largest economies in the country, Florida is home to an extraordinarily active state legislature that routinely passes laws with significant and far-reaching impact in Florida and beyond. These laws are implemented by the state’s vast array of regulatory agencies, many of which are trendsetters that impact the national policy agenda.
Our lobbying team in Tallahassee is on the forefront of these legislative and regulatory developments. We combine our substantive knowledge of complicated policy areas with our deep understanding of Florida’s political landscape to provide strategic lobbying services to companies and organizations before the Florida Legislature, the Governor’s Office, and regulatory agencies. We are also uniquely positioned to provide clients with advice regarding the legal implications of legislative and regulatory proposals.
Our Tallahassee team advances its clients policy interests before the Florida Legislature by utilizing its close working relationships with members of the Legislature and their staff, testifying regularly before legislative policy and fiscal committees, drafting legislation and legislative amendments, preparing position letters, working with other companies and organizations to build coalitions around key policy issues, and navigating clients through Florida’s complex legislative process on a broad range of policy areas.
- secure state government appropriations;
- draft, track, analyze, thousands of pieces of legislation and advise clients on how to react;
- devise legislative strategies to defeat, pass, or amend legislation;
- build coalitions and organize grass roots campaigns;
- prepare testimony, coordinate site visits, and meet with the House and Senate Leaders, key Legislators and Committee Chairs; and
- spearhead political campaigns and fundraising.
Notable Client Representations
- For the Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County (a client for 10+ years), we led the lobbying effort that resulted in Florida’s Governor Rick Scott signing HB 531 into law. The bill put Palm Beach County on par with every other county in the state by allowing haulers to depreciate their equipment over seven years, rather than the previous five. This will make bids on hauling contracts more competitive by making them more attractive to private sector waste haulers, driving down costs and lowering fees for residential and commercial customers.
- For Florida Association of Jewish Federations (a client for 25+ years), our successes for this non-profit, membership-based organization consisting of the state’s local Jewish Federations include hundreds of millions of dollars in governmental funding through appropriations and grants as well as numerous policy successes including establishing holocaust education in the public school curriculum, fostering business-to-business connections between Israel and Florida’s technology innovation communities and many others. The Becker lobbyists provide education and training about relevant legislation, advocacy and political insights to Federation members all over Florida.
- For City of Hollywood (a client for 28 years), Becker has proudly represented Hollywood as its State Government lobbyist. Every year, we fight at the state and local levels to preserve Hollywood’s vital economic engine, its beaches. We are proud that tens of millions of dollars has been secured to protect and fund these efforts from the State and County. We continue to work on the sand by-pass project at Port Everglades. The Team fully funded the Fred Lipman Senior Center for $228,000, the SE Focal Point Senior Center $141,550 and the SHIP funding for affordable housing at $656,000. We have continued to protect the City against a Claims Bill that has now been agreed to at $100,000. We have helped save the City hundreds of millions of dollars by changing State law on the Ocean Outfall and allowing Hollywood flexibility in meeting the 60% re-use requirement.
- For the Bethune-Cookman University, Florida Memorial University and Edward Waters College, we helped protect millions in funds and corrected a funding process that changed the funding process from expenditure and reimbursement process in favor of upfront funding.
- For the City of Miami, our team successfully worked on securing a $1.2 million dollar appropriation for a Citywide Stormwater Masterplan which will assist in mitigating flooding throughout the city. Our team also worked closely with the Florida Department of Transportation as well as Governor Scott’s office in order to extend the state’s contribution to the New Starts Program for local transportation projects. This was our first year representing the City of Miami.
- For the City of Cape Coral, our team was successful in obtaining appropriations for the City of Cape Coral in the amounts of $790,135 for the Reclaimed Water Transmission Main Caloosahatchee River Crossing Project, $740,341 in State Housing Initiatives Partnership Program (“SHIP”) funds for affordable housing, and $3,850,000 for Burnt Store Road Widening. We successfully lobbied for inclusion of language in the local government pension bills (SB 246 and HB 7181) which specifically addressed the City’s maximum benefit pension plan which is expected to save the city over $120,000,000.
- For the City of Pompano Beach, our team assisted the City of Pompano Beach score a major legislative win in secure passage of the “White-Miskell Act,” which protects tourists and recreational consumers by reforming the parasailing industry in the wake of multiple deaths stemming from neglect by unregulated commercial operations there.
Becker, P.A. has its very own statewide lobbying organization on behalf of its 4,000 Condominium & Homeowner association clients. The Community Association Leadership Lobby (CALL) monitors and responds to legislation emerging from Tallahassee that impacts condominiums, homeowner associations, mobile home communities and cooperatives.
CALL communicates with tens of thousands of concerned Floridians primarily through its website www.callbp.com, and through email alerts, which enables us to activate a grass roots network on issues of importance. The CALL model can easily be adapted to many other lobbying causes.
- Congratulations to Steven B. Lesser and All of Becker’s Best Lawyers in America® 2019
- Mario J. Bailey Selected for Leadership Florida’s Annual Class Program
- Mario J. Bailey Receives South Florida Business Journal’s 2018 40 Under 40 Award
- Landing and Keeping Government Legal Work
- Becker Hosts FAPL’s Candidate Interviews
- View All