Mr. Edwards manages the Community Association practice in the firm’s Sarasota office and serves as corporate counsel to hundreds of condominium, cooperative, mobile home and homeowners’ associations located in Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte and Highlands counties. Mr. Edwards is also one of only 129 attorneys statewide who is a Board Certified Specialist in Condominium and Planned Development Law.
In addition to his extensive experience as a Community Association lawyer, Mr. Edwards has trial and appellate experience in many areas of corporate and civil litigation, construction litigation, covenant enforcement, real estate and foreclosure law.
As General Counsel for condominium, cooperative, mobile-home and homeowners’ associations, Mr. Edwards:
- Drafts governing documents and amendments thereto;
- Dispenses legal and practical advice to Board members regarding the day to day operation and management of community associations including resolution of disputes between community associations, owners, developers and governmental entities;
- Prepares contracts, addendums and modifications and assists in contractual negotiation and contractual dispute resolution;
- Gives legal advice regarding requirements of the association’s governing documents and the laws regarding elections, financial operations, insurance, assessment collection and maintenance, repair and replacement; and
- Prepares and advises clients on election issues and disputes, Board meetings and membership meetings.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
Mr. Edwards is an active member of the Community Association Institute and serves on its Education Committee where he is a frequent lecturer on all aspects of community association law. Mr. Edwards is also a member of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Section of the Florida Bar and the American Bar Association.