For more episodes of Take It To The Board, click here!
From building your workplace culture to breaking up with those who don’t fit into it, employing human beings is complex. Donna and Jamie continue the employment law conversation with an examination of the purpose and necessity of employee handbooks, the morass of legal guidelines requiring compliance, and the best way to create and protect a safe work environment, Along the way, they also share stories from their years in service to association boards that illustrate exactly what NOT to do in your own community.
- The importance and benefits of preventative communication
- The power of progressive discipline and why escalation should not be avoided
- The pros and cons of offering a soon-to-be terminated employee the option to ‘retire’
- Addressing the ‘untouchable’ employee
- Clarifying where the final decision to hire or fire rests
- What to consider when fighting an unemployment claim
- Understanding an association’s duty to investigate
- Adopting mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for employees
BONUS: Learn what Jamie thinks is the number one employment mistake community associations make – and how easy it is to avoid it!
REMEMBER: This discussion is for informational purposes only and not intended to be legal advice. Please consult your association counsel before acting upon any information shared on this, and any, episode of Take It To The Board.
About Take It To The Board
Think you know what community association life is all about? Think again. Residents must obey the rules, directors must follow the law, and managers must keep it all running smoothly. Take It To The Board explores the reality of life in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners’ association, what’s really involved in serving on its board, and how to maintain that ever-so-delicate balance of being legally compliant and community spirited. Leading community association attorney Donna DiMaggio Berger acknowledges the balancing act without losing her sense of humor as she talks with a variety of association leaders, experts, and vendors about the challenges and benefits of the community association lifestyle.
If you’ve got a question, Take It To The Board with Donna DiMaggio Berger – We Speak Condo & HOA!
Episodes are available for subscription on iTunes, Amazon Music, Spotify, or listen through any podcast streaming app.