Becker Shareholder Yolanda Cash Jackson is a co-founder of The National Black Lobbyists Association (NBPLA), a group created to promote diversity and inclusion in the lobbying corps at state capitols. Gregory Jones, President and CEO of The Jones Group, and John Heath, Government Affairs Manager at Turo, also serve as co-founders of the Association.
Launched in September 2019, the NBPLA was designed to further foster environments that encourage dialogue and collaboration among lobbyists, legislative staff, elected officials, and corporate entities. The Association aims to achieve these objectives by working to:
- Identify, address and remove the barriers that prevent qualified and experienced Black lobbyists from corporate opportunities and government affairs contracts;
- Develop a database of qualified lobbyists to provide corporate and government entities exclusive access to the country’s top Black talent in the lobbying profession;
- Partner with diversity and inclusion leaders across the nation to ensure Black government affairs professionals are included in efforts to diversify the perspectives communicated to leaders in state government;
- Provide regular networking and professional development opportunities to Black lobbyists within our unique cultural context; and
- Offer mentoring opportunities to emerging and future lobbyists and government affairs professionals to create a diverse pipeline of state lobbyists.
Ms. Cash Jackson is a veteran lawyer-lobbyist and a member of Becker’s seven-member Management Committee. She has earned a reputation in Tallahassee for her ability to cross party lines and navigate various caucuses to achieve seemingly impossible results for her many long-time clients. With an established reputation in the community for her leadership and commitment to civic, charitable, and professional organizations, her roster of clients includes local governments, non-profit organizations, membership-based groups, and public and private entities such as universities, colleges, cities, health care, and tech organizations.