President Biden and world leaders are reacting to Russia’s weekend attacks on Ukrainian civilians, with the President going so far as to call for war crime trials against Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Domestically, President Biden is renewing his call for gun law reform following last weekend’s mass shooting in Sacramento, California that killed six and wounded 12.
This week, the Senate will consider legislation that repeals normal U.S. trade relations with Belarus and Russia.
The Senate will host hearings this week, including in the Judiciary Committee to advance the nomination of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Senate floor for a final confirmation vote to the Supreme Court. The Senate Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs committee will also discuss how the bipartisan infrastructure law advances public transportation in small cities and rural places.
The House will consider a supplemental COVID relief bill focused on providing aid to restaurants and small businesses. Members will also vote on a resolution to hold former Trump Administration advisors Dan Scavino and Peter Navarro in contempt of Congress for defying subpoenas issued by the Select Committee on the January 6 attack.
Additional measures up for consideration in the House include:
- Requiring the FCC to incorporate data concerning maternal mortality and health outcomes into its new broadband mapping.
- Requiring NTIA and the FCC to update their joint processes concerning spectrum coordination.
- Easing medical marijuana research regulations.
- Authorizing funds for CBP to develop a strategic plan against illegal border tunnels.
- Expanding and modifying FEMA’s disaster resilience programs.
- Measures to condemn the human rights violations and war crimes in Myanmar and Ukraine, respectively.
The House will also conduct the following hearings this week:
- The House Oversight and Reform Committee will discuss developing an electric vehicle fleet for the United States Postal Service.
- The House Ways & Means Committee discuss overcoming racism to advance economic opportunity.