The House returns for its final scheduled working week of the year with several authorization bills teed up before Members leave town.
Chief among the slated bills include a short-term FAA reauthorization through March 8th to give more time for negotiations amid the Senate’s stalled version. Others include the national defense authorization bill (NDAA) which will be brought up under suspension of the rules, in addition to bills reauthorizing programs for prevention, treatment, and recovery for substance abuse and mental health.
Additional legislation set for this week include two long-term FISA reauthorization bills, agency rulemaking procedural requirements, including whole milk in school lunch programs, and a package of healthcare-related bills such as Medicare benefits and PBM requirements.
House Members will also hold several committee hearings this week, including the following:
- The House Committee on Homeland Security will discuss the Department of Homeland Security and CISA’s role in securing AI
- The House Committee on Small Business will review the small business sector’s performance for 2023
- The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure will hold an oversight hearing of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law’s implementation
Senators are also back in town this week during which time lawmakers are expected to begin debating their version of the NDAA, in addition to holding several confirmation votes for judges, national cyber director, Social Security Commissioner, and State Department Counterterrorism Coordinator.
Members will also partake in committee hearings this week, including the following:
- The Senate Appropriations Committee will examine the cost of delayed disaster recovery funds
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold an oversight hearing of the corporate sector
- The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee will examine the diabetes epidemic
President Joe Biden will travel to Philadelphia, PA today to announce the City’s $22.4 million SAFER Grant to aid firefighters’ operations and benefits. He will also host a Hanukkah reception at the White House, followed later in the week by a meeting with Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky as Congress continues to debate whether to pass additional aid for the country.