The House returns this week to take up a number of bills on the floor, including:
- A bill requiring the Energy Department to provide financial assistance to certain post-grad students enrolled in cybersecurity and energy infrastructure classes.
- A bill placing hundreds of acres of federal lands in trusts for the Pala Band of Mission Indians and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians to establish memorials, museums, etc.
- A bill ending the COVID-19 vaccine mandate for inbound international travelers.
The House will also hold several committee hearings this week:
- The House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee will hold hearings discussing the FAA’s annual reauthorization and the Biden Administration’s Waters of the United States rule.
- The House Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on American energy and mineral potential.
- The House Financial Services Committee will hold a hearing on 21st Century Banking.
The Senate is also in session this week and will begin to stand up its committees for the 118th Congress now that the Chamber has finalized committee rosters.
- The Senate Agriculture Committee will discuss the 2023 Farm Bill’s commodity programs.
- The Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee will discuss the state of housing in America.
President Biden will give his second State of the Union address this week where he will likely discuss his priorities for the upcoming two years when Republicans will control the House. After the address, reports indicate that the President and members of his cabinet will begin travelling the country to tout the President’s agenda.