House Republicans return to D.C. this week to pick their third nominee for Speaker of the House after Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) failed to win the necessary votes on the floor over three ballots.
Announced Speaker candidates include the following:
- House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN)
- Mike Johnson (R-LA)
- Jack Bergman (R-MI)
- Austin Scott (R-GA)
- Byron Donalds (R-FL)
- Dan Meuser (R-PA)
- Gary Palmer (R-AL)
- Pete Sessions (R-TX)
House lawmakers will also hold several committee hearings, including the following:
- The House Oversight and Accountability Committee will discuss advances in AI deepfake technology
- The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee will discuss the Water Resources Development Act
Senators also return to Washington this week to hold several votes. First, Members will vote on the nomination of Michael Whitaker to be FAA Administrator after he cleared the Senate Commerce committee unanimously.
Lawmakers will also take up a vote to repeal the Biden Administration’s Food and Nutrition service rule banning discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.
Senators will also participate in several committee hearings, including the following:
- The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee will discuss how to protect Americans from robocalls
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will examine federal offshore energy strategy and policies
President Joe Biden returns to D.C. from Delaware today to speak at an event touting his economic agenda. This comes as the President sent to Congress last week a $106 billion emergency proposal to provide aid to Ukraine and Israel which will require the House to elect a Speaker before it can be taken up in Congress.