Marilyn Perez-Martinez focuses her practice on condominium, homeowners association, and cooperative covenant enforcement; directors and officers claims, collections and foreclosures and other association-related matters in arbitration and court. Marilyn helps her clients with their day-to-day operations and keeps an eye on risk management concerns.
She has also handled commercial and residential foreclosures; short sale and discounted pay-off negotiations; deeds-in-lieu and other loan work-out options from the lenders’ perspective.
Marilyn enjoys educating community association managers and board members alike, teaching certification/continuing education courses on various topics including dealing with difficult people, properly running elections, board certifications, collection of assessments, covenant enforcement, and more.
In her more than 15 years as an attorney, Marilyn has worked on cases involving nursing home negligence; medical malpractice; legal malpractice; errors and omissions for professionals including insurance agents/brokers and board members; automobile negligence; personal injury; and wrongful death created an interest in risk management.
As both a litigation attorney and General Counsel for both commercial and residential community associations, Ms. Perez-Martinez:
- Negotiates settlements, argues summary judgment, and conducts final hearings in arbitration.
- Dispenses legal and practical advice with an eye toward risk management involving the day to day disputes between community associations, owners, developers and governmental entities;
- Prepares contracts, addendums and modifications and assists both with contract negotiations and contract disputes;
- Gives legal advice regarding requirements of the governing documents and the laws regarding elections, financial preparations, insurance, assessment collection and maintenance, repair and replacement; and
- Prepares clients for elections, meetings of the Board/members, handling disasters.
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite – 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2018
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- CREW – Miami, 2016 – President.
- Program Director 2018
- Sponsorship Committee 2017
- Leadership Palm Beach County, Class 2010 (Co-Chair Recruiting Committee 2012)
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Transaction Law Committee (Member 2013; Chair 2014 & 2015)
- Judicial Relations Committee (2013, 2014)
- PACE Center for Girls, Board Member (2008-2010)
- Florida Bar Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Committee (Member 2015 – Present)